The Truth About the Coronavirus

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: The Truth About the Coronavirus

Post by Aussie »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:20
Aussie wrote:
23 May 2020, 13:11
I don't think Shell knows what a metaphor or satire or irony is. S/he really believes I was asserting that 'water is dry.'
Satire makes fun of people, by imitating them in ways that expose their weaknesses and flaws. Irony is the subversion of expectation(verbal, situational, or dramatic) And, a metaphor is a figure of speech, that contains an implied comparison(i.e., dryness to water). So, which of these rhetorical devices, would you classify the truth claim, "water is dry" under? and why?

Never mind, you don't have a clue. Just more of you trying to baffle the ignorant with BS. And, more of the same huffing and puffing, and useless trolling.
You cannot be serious.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat
spamone: Animal

Post by Shellandshilo1956 »

Aussie wrote:
23 May 2020, 18:13
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:20
Aussie wrote:
23 May 2020, 13:11
I don't think Shell knows what a metaphor or satire or irony is. S/he really believes I was asserting that 'water is dry.'
Satire makes fun of people, by imitating them in ways that expose their weaknesses and flaws. Irony is the subversion of expectation(verbal, situational, or dramatic) And, a metaphor is a figure of speech, that contains an implied comparison(i.e., dryness to water). So, which of these rhetorical devices, would you classify the truth claim, "water is dry" under? and why?

Never mind, you don't have a clue. Just more of you trying to baffle the ignorant with BS. And, more of the same huffing and puffing, and useless trolling.
You cannot be serious.

Still implying and insinuating everything. When are you going to come out from behind the curtains, and explain exactly what you are implying and insinuating?

Your original statement was, "For example. I say that water is dry. That is an assertion of fact[/b]. As opposed to, I say that water is dry and here is my evidence which supports that assertion of fact ~ *here insert the objective evidence that water is dry.* That is an assertion of fact backed up by evidence.". Your assertions are not factual, or require evidence to support them. They are just bullshit dumb, meaningless assertions. A fact is evidence of itself, or is self-evident. It is a truism that is already known to be true. Or, a thing that is already proven to be true. Does the sun, moon, earth, people, reality, require evidence of their existence? Or, is the evidence self-evident, or the facts already proven? Since water is NOT dry, asserting that it is, would NOT be an assertion of fact. It would be an assertion of fiction/fantasy. Right?

So, when you are finished with all these silly distractions, you might want to start considering the topic again. Or any of the questions I've raised. If not, then PLEASE, just go elsewhere to troll. I promise I won't be offended if you do.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:53
you don't even know what you are saying do you?
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 11:40
Yes you do have to spell it out. How are we NOT physically wired the same specifically? Or, is this just a figure of speech, to say that we are different? Which I definitely agree with.
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:33
What? That for some of us, our brain is wired slightly differently? That is LITERALLY true. I was assuming that you were NOT a psychopath, a savant, or someone whose brain was NOT physically damaged(hence the rewiring). Regardless, only an idiot would have made the comment in the first place. And, then try to backtrack out of it, once his idiocy was exposed.
you're contradicting yourself dopey. Make up your mind.

and if you're going to use my comment, use it in full, not in part
BTW, not everyones brain is wired like yours. Just because the nerve endings meant for your brain instead go to your arse, it doesn't mean everyone else's are the same
so far I've seen no evidence that your brain isn't wired to your arse
Pay JS. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

johnsmith wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:53
you don't even know what you are saying do you?
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 11:40
Yes you do have to spell it out. How are we NOT physically wired the same specifically? Or, is this just a figure of speech, to say that we are different? Which I definitely agree with.
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:33
What? That for some of us, our brain is wired slightly differently? That is LITERALLY true. I was assuming that you were NOT a psychopath, a savant, or someone whose brain was NOT physically damaged(hence the rewiring). Regardless, only an idiot would have made the comment in the first place. And, then try to backtrack out of it, once his idiocy was exposed.
you're contradicting yourself dopey. Make up your mind.

and if you're going to use my comment, use it in full, not in part
BTW, not everyones brain is wired like yours. Just because the nerve endings meant for your brain instead go to your arse, it doesn't mean everyone else's are the same
so far I've seen no evidence that your brain isn't wired to your arse

Not only a moron, but a hypocrite as well. Just when have you NOT misrepresented, or taken out of context, anything that I've said? I don't think you are even capable of being intellectually honest, or consistent. Please, just go away!!!

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Can't you see the problem here Shell.?

It's obvious to see/...well..... pretty much all of your responders want you to be less domineering and critical. I , and others here ..have listened to your diatribes with equanimity. We are NOT insulted by your posts.. . and we are trying to get thru to u but u aren't listening. (speaking for MYSELF)

So carry on, regardless. That's the way to nowhere. . :thumb

words are funny things, and the English language is fraught with things that seem to make no sense.
Like regardless and irregardless mean the same thing.
Like Flammable and Inflammable mean the same thing.

I think you are so defensive,
because you don't understand our posts
because of your incomprehension
and your lack of clarity
of perception
vis a vis English.

You don't seem to actually read and comprehend. Your bias and defensiveness /anger, means you don't get the message.

I imagine you live alone, because no one can stand to be with you for long. Have met folk like you before. Absolutely exhausting.

You need help.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Wow now the yanks are refusing people into their shops if they are wearing a mask.... Relatives Shelly ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... adly-folly

“Covid-19 deaths in Sweden were the highest in Europe per capita in a rolling seven-day average between 12 and 19 May.” It confirmed that Sweden’s state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell’s “mitigation” strategy of allowing shops, restaurants, gyms, schools and workplaces to remain open was a deadly folly. It does not even seem to have produced herd immunity. Just 7.3% of Stockholm’s inhabitants had developed Covid-19 antibodies by the end of April.

All those deaths for so little point. In Sweden of all places. A country where the need to protect society from harm is knitted into the national consensus, and whose supposed moderation produced the spectacularly inoffensive music of Abba and the furniture of Ikea. Sweden’s position may be graver than the weekly figure implies, Lena Einhorn, a Swedish virologist and author, told me. Recorded cases of Covid-19 follow a bell curve. All severely infected countries, including the UK, are seeing infections fall as they move down the far side of the curve, apart from Trump’s America and Sweden. In both instances, they have declined slightly then hit a plateau.

This a cautionary tale to those that don't think locking down was the best move.

Sweden with a population of 10 million now have 4000 deaths, to put that into perspective, Australia with it's 25 million would of had 10,000 deaths if it followed Sweden's lead....9900 more deaths than we have had...
We are only one world, to ignore the lessons from other groups of people is madness.

Australia is definitely the lucky country... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
24 May 2020, 01:54
Not only a moron, but a hypocrite as well.
enough about you. Now what about me?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
24 May 2020, 08:05
This a cautionary tale to those that don't think locking down was the best move.
Seth will still argue its some conspiracy to take away his rights :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Post by Aussie »

johnsmith wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:50
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Seth????

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Aussie wrote:
24 May 2020, 11:46
johnsmith wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:50
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Seth????
opps, sorry Seth ....I meant Shell

Seth would argue it's some conspiracy to get trump :yahoo :yahoo
FD.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

DonDeeHippy wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/comme ... adly-folly

“Covid-19 deaths in Sweden were the highest in Europe per capita in a rolling seven-day average between 12 and 19 May.” It confirmed that Sweden’s state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell’s “mitigation” strategy of allowing shops, restaurants, gyms, schools and workplaces to remain open was a deadly folly. It does not even seem to have produced herd immunity. Just 7.3% of Stockholm’s inhabitants had developed Covid-19 antibodies by the end of April.

All those deaths for so little point. In Sweden of all places. A country where the need to protect society from harm is knitted into the national consensus, and whose supposed moderation produced the spectacularly inoffensive music of Abba and the furniture of Ikea. Sweden’s position may be graver than the weekly figure implies, Lena Einhorn, a Swedish virologist and author, told me. Recorded cases of Covid-19 follow a bell curve. All severely infected countries, including the UK, are seeing infections fall as they move down the far side of the curve, apart from Trump’s America and Sweden. In both instances, they have declined slightly then hit a plateau.

Sweden with a population of 10 million now have 4000 deaths, to put that into perspective, Australia with it's 25 million would of had 10,000 deaths if it followed Sweden's lead....9900 more deaths than we have had...
We are only one world, to ignore the lessons from other groups of people is madness.

Australia is definitely the lucky country... :purple

Sweden is also a country that values the freedoms, liberties, and the privacies of its citizens, above all. As of May 24th, there have been 33,188 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. There have been 3,992 death from the coronavirus(89% over age 65). These facts represent only 0.3% and 0.04% of Sweden's population respectively. These facts also represent the 99.7% and 99.96% of the population that ISN'T infected or have died from the virus. This means, that Sweden is being crucified for NOT suspending its citizen's rights and freedoms, ending its countries businesses and economy, and forcing fines and arrests, on 99.9% of the population that are NOT infected or dead. They choose a measured reaction to what is happening, and not to what might happen. Or worse, what has happened in other countries. No matter what form of metrics you use, there have been many times more people that have been infected and died, after the lockdown, than before. It is ineffective and unnecessary. And, I've shown you repeatedly the historical and factual evidence why. Why not just beef-up our healthcare service industries? Like we have done for the last 4 pandemics, and all the other flu and cold seasons in the past. Why for this mutated SARS virus?

We can always select the facts we need, and force-fit them into any narrative we want. I'm sure if I started searching, that I could find one country with the lowest rate of infections per capita, that is not forcing a lockdown on its people. Do I claim, that they are more lucky than us. Of course not. There are too many factors to be considered(Geographic's and terrain, demographics, healthcare access, climate and temperature, morbidity and mortality rates, type of virus, etc.). But to simply conclude, that we must be a lucky country, based on the numbers from another country, is just being intellectually dishonest, and fallacious(from confirmation bias to begging the question to argument from ignorance). It is the same non-arguments used to try an prove Intelligent Design, the origin of Life, the origin of the Universe, a Flat Earth, and that Evolution is only a myth. Every argument is heavy on manufactured, unverifiable, irrelevant, and biased truths. But, extremely light on any verifiable, relevant, objective, and unbiased truths.

You are simply claiming/inferring, that because Sweden does not choose to destroy its own economy, and suspend its citizen's sovereign rights and liberties, or simply jump on the bandwagon(like Australia), that it does not care about protecting its citizens from being infected or dying from the coronavirus. Please look up what false causality, data dredging, sampling bias, and summary metrics means. https://www.visualcapitalist.com/here-a ... -to-avoid/ Because your use of data is becoming annoying at best. Or, you could simply explain what the direct "cause and effect" link is, between a micro-organism, that is smaller than the wavelength of visible light, and man's efforts to control its morbidity and mortality? So lets hear it. How do you know the virus would NOT have reached its peek morbidity, regardless of anything we do. What other factors in your non-sequitur and undistributed middle argument, will you again be leaving out to fit your self-serving narrative?

You do realize, that drug antibodies are used to fight bacteria only. They have zero affect on viruses. Drug antibodies are only used to treat the secondary infections, that is caused by our own immune system attacking the virus. Keeping us apart, or wearing unsealed masks, also have zero effect on colds, flus, or the coronaviruses as well. Since the virus is airborne and can cling to surfaces, if you breath oxygen or touch any surfaces, you can be infected. The real madness is trying to mislead people with half-truths, selective bias, false conclusions, poor inductive and deductive reasoning, and then try to peddling them as facts.

As we age, our body will be less able to fight off a continuing evolving virus, that has been with us for eons. People will continue to die from colds, flus, cancers, natural disasters, accidents, suicides, violence, or even acts of God. This is just a fact of life. We just can't control all causes, and all effects that affect human mortality. At best, we can only try, and hope we get lucky!!

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

DonDeeHippy wrote:
24 May 2020, 07:40
Wow now the yanks are refusing people into their shops if they are wearing a mask.... Relatives Shelly ? :purple
It will probably be the new norm here as well. You know how badly Aussies pretend to criticize yanks, but still watch, buy, and imitate American culture. Do you know who the 1st President of the was? Or, who Abraham Lincoln was? Or who Donald Trump is? I'll bet I couldn't find one average American, who would know the name of our Prime Minister. Or, the name of our 1st Prime Minister.

So spare me your implied hypocrisy. There are small stores here that ask people not to come in, if they are wearing a mask. It kinda implies that the mask might be infected with the virus. It's the same if someone is asked to leave, because they are coughing, or sneezing.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
24 May 2020, 17:36
There are small stores here that ask people not to come in, if they are wearing a mask.
I'm calling that bullshit
FD.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

pinkeye wrote:
24 May 2020, 03:55

It's obvious to see/...well..... pretty much all of your responders want you to be less domineering and critical. I , and others here ..have listened to your diatribes with equanimity. We are NOT insulted by your posts.. . and we are trying to get thru to u but u aren't listening. (speaking for MYSELF)

words are funny things, and the English language is fraught with things that seem to make no sense.

and your lack of clarity
of perception
vis a vis English.

You don't seem to actually read and comprehend. Your bias and defensiveness /anger, means you don't get the message.

I imagine you live alone, because no one can stand to be with you for long. Have met folk like you before. Absolutely exhausting.

You need help.

You are the ones that started all of this. My patience is NOT unlimited. I will NOT simply ignore all the ridicule, profanity, sarcasm, misrepresentations, insults, and demeaning comments, from pub crawling pseudo-sophists. If you are going to dish it out, you damn well better be able to take it. So, don't start playing the victims card with me now!!!

Should I go back and quote all the insensitive comments, and expletives, that led to where we are now? Calling me defensive, after the barrage of insults an profanities that I've taken, is hypocritical and self-serving. It is an observation not based in reality. But in the mind of someone who avoids taking responsibility for their own actions.

So, yes genius, I am defensive, but I do not lack clarity, perception(whatever that means), or comprehension. And, I seriously doubt that my wife of 37 years, children, grandchildren, friends, colleagues, and the community, would agree with your assessment of me. But again, this is the internet, where people like you can be, and say anything they want.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

johnsmith wrote:
24 May 2020, 17:45
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
There are small stores here that ask people not to come in, if they are wearing a mask.
So, I'm just imagining the lady(and 2 little ones) who was asked to leave JB Hi Fi, because she, and her kids, were wearing masks? But, unlike you, I won't characterize this one event as the norm. If I told you water was wet, I doubt if you would believe me. So this is just par for the course. In other words, your integrity is worthless to me. And, your acceptance is worth even less.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

so you imagined it

see, I told you it was bullshit
FD.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
24 May 2020, 18:11
pinkeye wrote:

and your lack of clarity
of perception
vis a vis English.

You need help.

You are the ones that started all of this. My patience is NOT unlimited. I will NOT simply ignore all the ridicule, profanity, sarcasm, misrepresentations, insults, and demeaning comments, from pub crawling pseudo-sophists. If you are going to dish it out, you damn well better be able to take it. So, don't start playing the victims card with me now!!!

Should I go back and quote all the insensitive comments, and expletives, that led to where we are now? Calling me defensive, after the barrage of insults an profanities that I've taken, is hypocritical and self-serving. It is an observation not based in reality. But in the mind of someone who avoids taking responsibility for their own actions.

So, yes genius, I am defensive, but I do not lack clarity, perception(whatever that means), or comprehension. And, I seriously doubt that my wife of 37 years, children, grandchildren, friends, colleagues, and the community, would agree with your assessment of me. But again, this is the internet, where people like you can be, and say anything they want.
Well I'll try a reply tonight. Last night I couldn't post or reply or access the forum, whilst in the midst of a considered reply to you.
So that all disappeared , and this is tonight so I'll just say . this is the internet, so people like me CAN say anything. Just like people like you can say anything they want.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

and your lack of clarity
of perception
vis a vis English.

You need help.

Just another entitled white boomer winging how bad Australia has become :purple

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote:
26 May 2020, 01:13
Last night I couldn't post or reply or access the forum, whilst in the midst of a considered reply to you.
It was probably because Monk was in the middle of switching us over to the new software.

Try it here xenforo/index.php

He hasn't got all the bugs worked out yet as it's still a work in progress. I can't log into, but others can. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon and then we can swap over permanently
FD.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
24 May 2020, 18:21
johnsmith wrote:
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
So, I'm just imagining the lady(and 2 little ones) who was asked to leave JB Hi Fi, because she, and her kids, were wearing masks? But, unlike you, I won't characterize this one event as the norm. If I told you water was wet, I doubt if you would believe me. So this is just par for the course. In other words, your integrity is worthless to me. And, your acceptance is worth even less.

NO! It was not my imagination. But what IS hard for me to imagine, is someone that can't tell the difference between a question, and a statement of fact.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
26 May 2020, 12:03
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:

NO! It was not my imagination. But what IS hard for me to imagine, is someone that can't tell the difference between a question, and a statement of fact.
this was not a question
nor is it fact. Neither is claiming that you didn't imagine it.

like i said, it was bullshit ....and so far you've shown nothing to prove it wasn't.
FD.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

DonDeeHippy wrote:
26 May 2020, 03:46
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

and your lack of clarity
of perception
vis a vis English.

You need help.

Just another entitled white boomer winging how bad Australia has become :purple

Do you mean like you five entitled white boomers, who keep whinging about Morrison, his cabinet, and politics in general? In fact, whinging, whining, complaining, and being ignorant and insulting, is all you five can ever do.

I'm just a citizen that gives a shit. I give a shit about the tanking of this economy, ending jobs and businesses, arresting and fining people for doing LEGAL ACTIVITIES, the suspension of my individual and sovereign rights, and the ushering in of a surveillance state. I'm just a citizen who thinks, that this all seems just a tad excessive. Especially, when the stats just don't justify the action. Maybe we should do this again, every time we have another seasonal flu, or another seasonal novel pandemic? Remember, it is for your own protection. Because we say it is.

What's the matter? No comment on my response, to your your silly fear-mongering post, about the virus stats in Sweden? I didn't think so. Just five sheep, defending their right to be sheep.

Shellandshilo1956
Feral cat

johnsmith wrote:
26 May 2020, 12:12
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
26 May 2020, 12:03
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Shellandshilo1956 wrote:

this was not a question
nor is it fact. Neither is claiming that you didn't imagine it.

like i said, it was bullshit ....and so far you've shown nothing to prove it wasn't.

My statement was, "So, I'm just imagining the lady(and 2 little ones) who was asked to leave JB Hi Fi, because she, and her kids, were wearing masks?". It is the question mark at the end of the sentence, that makes it a question genius. At least for the rest of us.

Regarding proving to you anything. You are the last person on this planet, that I have any need to prove anything to. Even if I presented video recordings, eyewitness testimonies, staff affidavits, or could rewind time for you, people like you would simply dismiss them all. Being right is all that matters to you. So, instead of just asserting that what I say is bullshit, PROVE IT!! What makes the event impossible? Let's start simple. Prove what you had, or didn't have for breakfast? Just so I can tell you, that it is also bullshit. Did you even understand the last part of my comments?

The absence of evidence, is NOT the evidence for absence. Never mind!!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Shellandshilo1956 wrote:
26 May 2020, 13:59
My statement was, "So, I'm just imagining the lady(and 2 little ones) who was asked to leave JB Hi Fi, because she, and her kids, were wearing masks?"
Your claim that people were thrown out of shops for wearing a mask is bullshit. You can ask 1000 questions, none of them prove your statement correct
FD.