NZ in "lockdown", but no 'Aus style' unemployment scenes.

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

NZ in "lockdown", but no 'Aus style' unemployment scenes.

Postby chris155au » 26 Mar 2020, 21:19

So New Zealand is now in "lockdown", with far more significant restrictions that us. So why exactly haven't we seen the sort of insane cues of people outside their Centrelink equivalent? In fact, there is more concern about unemployed New Zealanders living HERE than those living in their home country, with Jacinda Ardern asking for them to be financially support by the Australian government. I really don't get it. Any ideas?
chris155au
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: NZ in "lockdown", but no 'Aus style' unemployment scenes

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2020, 00:43

chris155au wrote:So New Zealand is now in "lockdown", with far more significant restrictions that us. So why exactly haven't we seen the sort of insane cues of people outside their Centrelink equivalent? In fact, there is more concern about unemployed New Zealanders living HERE than those living in their home country, with Jacinda Ardern asking for them to be financially support by the Australian government. I really don't get it. Any ideas?

Well, having been born in NZ, and living there for the first 13 years of my life, I would have to say that we are a tough breed, and mixed well.. We believe in basic honesty, honour, and cohesion. Surely there are gangs, drugs, crime etc over there.. but NZérs, really pull together..

Perhaps the difference is in the sheer size of Australia. I am always amazed at how parochial the states are. Queensland in particular, thinks it's just the best..
So insular we have become in our far flung cities.

Perhaps NZ Govt IT services are just a shit load better than the NBN. :roll ?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 07:15

Lopopoland has a better NBN than we do. The NZ used facts, stopped the rollout of FTTN and started rolling out FTTH.Probably have a MyGov system of some robustness too, unlike lucky lucky lucky us where a bunch of fuckwits stopped progress and run down just about everything to show a fake surplus, just like Trump has and is doing in the US so their COVID19 cases are doubling every two days.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Mar 2020, 07:39

HBS Guy wrote:Lopopoland has a better NBN than we do. The NZ used facts, stopped the rollout of FTTN and started rolling out FTTH.Probably have a MyGov system of some robustness too, unlike lucky lucky lucky us where a bunch of fuckwits stopped progress and run down just about everything to show a fake surplus, just like Trump has and is doing in the US so their COVID19 cases are doubling every two days.

Australia is about 29 times bigger than New Zealand. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 08:24

and we are likely more urbanised than NZ.

Face it, the Libs wrecked the NBN:

1. FTTN is outdated—and is totally unsuited to runs of copper longer than 400 metres. Ask Pinky.

2. The Telstra copper is thin, 0.32–0.4mm compared to the German 0.6mm copper. That means the Telstra copper is high impedance and so totally unsuited to any high speed broadband.

3. The Telstra copper was old, fully depreciated, and rotten—Telstra expected FTTH to replace it.

4. FTTN requires lots more power than FTTH

The Libs, and the cronies Malcolm appointed to the board knew that given a choice between fibre and copper people would always plump for fibre so they made sure not an inch of fibre was run out. So the wireless towers are linked back to the exchanges by microwaves instead of fibre meaning that the people who have to use the wireless part of the NBN have low bandwidth, frequent drop outs etc. They deliberately made even getting a quote for Fibre on Demand was expensive and if someone insisted on and paid for fibre to be run out then other people around that person’s property could not be connected to that run of fibre.

EVERYTHING about the Lib botch of an NBN shows they damn well KNEW they were completely fucking up the NBN!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 09:07

And JUST in case there was a patch of 198 or 356 houses on pristine new, thick copper the fucking Libs used a card in the stupid nodes that only has ONE 1Gbps fibre going back to the exchange, severely limiting bandwidth.

As more and more people work from home, as schools send as many kids as possible to their homes to study online the two-tin-cans-and-a-string NBN will falter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 10:40

HBS Guy, there were INSTANT cues outside Centrelink first thing Monday morning, before MyGov went down.
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 12:08

That is probably what they thought they had to do.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2020, 12:16

chris155au wrote:HBS Guy, there were INSTANT cues outside Centrelink first thing Monday morning, before MyGov went down.

have you ever tried using centrelink online? its a joke. i have at least 6 id's and passwords and none of them work. eventually i am always directed to go the the nearest office
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 15:34

johnsmith wrote:
chris155au wrote:HBS Guy, there were INSTANT cues outside Centrelink first thing Monday morning, before MyGov went down.

have you ever tried using centrelink online?

Well many of the people who became unemployed this week would never have had to use Centrelink online, so how would they know how poor it is?
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 16:08

How would they know how to get online to Centerlink?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2020, 16:43

chris155au wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Well many of the people who became unemployed this week would never have had to use Centrelink online, so how would they know how poor it is?

you realise it deals with much more than just the dole, right?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 17:09

johnsmith wrote:
chris155au wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

What, MyGov? I thought that you were specifically talking about Centrelink, given that you referred to "centrelink online."
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 17:09

HBS Guy wrote:How would they know how to get online to Centerlink?

Uh, Google?
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 17:12

I think they assumed you rocked up to Centrelink, were interviewed and signed up to NewStart.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 17:22

HBS Guy wrote:I think they assumed you rocked up to Centrelink, were interviewed and signed up to NewStart.

Well clearly that is what happened, and so I'm wondering why the exact same thing hasn't happened in NZ, which apparently has less people at work than here, which would mean more people have lost their jobs. Do we just have a larger casual workforce?
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Mar 2020, 17:34

I guess you will have to got NZ and ask around. Report back.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby chris155au » 27 Mar 2020, 17:41

HBS Guy wrote:I guess you will have to got NZ and ask around. Report back.

Not necessary of course. Only if there's not one single person on this board who knows anything about NZ employment, which I doubt.
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2020, 22:17

HBS Guy wrote:Lopopoland has a better NBN than we do. The NZ used facts, stopped the rollout of FTTN and started rolling out FTTH.Probably have a MyGov system of some robustness too, unlike lucky lucky lucky us where a bunch of fuckwits stopped progress and run down just about everything to show a fake surplus, just like Trump has and is doing in the US so their COVID19 cases are doubling every two days.

Indeed.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2020, 22:23

johnsmith wrote:

have you ever tried using centrelink online? its a joke. i have at least 6 id's and passwords and none of them work. eventually i am always directed to go the the nearest office

I never bother... I leave them alone, and they leave me alone. I am fortunate.

Trying to get thru call centres from any source is often difficult. Especially TELSTRA.

I wonder why they don't employ Australians in their call centres.??

Guess they are OFF-shore.. :roll Typical corporate greed resulting in POOR POOR service. :mad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2020, 23:06

chris155au wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
chris155au wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

What, MyGov? I thought that you were specifically talking about Centrelink, given that you referred to "centrelink online."

you can only access centrelink through mygov
FD.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby pinkeye » 27 Mar 2020, 23:54

yeah, and you can't get thru. :tweed

no surprise. They're great at sending out illegal.. foul … debt notices tho.

Shows the gov priority.. it is and always has been RAISING REVENUE, not spending it on the people that need it.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 28 Mar 2020, 10:41

I'm currently trying to get sickness benefits because until my leg heals i can't work. What a mess. As i am considered self employed, I have to get the accountant to prepare a current balance sheet and a profit and loss statement before i can claim anything. What a shemozzle.
FD.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby chris155au » 28 Mar 2020, 13:48

pinkeye wrote:
I wonder why they don't employ Australians in their call centres.??

What do you mean? Centrelink call centres are based in Australia.
chris155au
Cheetah

Postby chris155au » 28 Mar 2020, 13:51

johnsmith wrote:
you can only access centrelink through mygov

Sure, but I thought that you were saying that the Centrelink PART of MyGov was unreliable, which would be possible. One element of a system doesn't have to have any bearing on the system as a whole. Centrelink, ATO and Medicare could be considered "sub-systems" of the MyGov system.
chris155au
Cheetah

Next

Return to Politics