Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Postby Squire » 20 Mar 2020, 08:46

The USA had performed studies into viral pandemics. The studies demonstrated the effects, chaos and confusion now being seen.

January-August 2019 the US conducted a simulation of a pandemic which determined: "The simulation’s sobering results — contained in a draft report dated October 2019 that has not previously been reported — drove home just how underfunded, underprepared and uncoordinated the federal government would be for a life-or-death battle with a virus for which no treatment existed."

Trump's performance was late and underwhelming.

Scomo is ignorant and can't even spell pandemic.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virus-outbreak-cascade-warnings-went-193648556.html

The New York Times
David E. Sanger, Eric Lipton, Eileen Sullivan and Michael Crowley
,The New York Times•March 20, 2020
From left: Then-Chief of Staff John Kelly, then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Vice President Mike Pence at the White House on Aug. 28, 2017. (Al Drago/The New York Times)
From left: Then-Chief of Staff John Kelly, then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Vice President Mike Pence at the White House on Aug. 28, 2017. (Al Drago/The New York Times)
WASHINGTON — The outbreak of the respiratory virus began in China and was quickly spread around the world by air travelers, who ran high fevers. In the United States, it was first detected in Chicago, and 47 days later the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. By then it was too late: 110 million Americans were expected to become ill, leading to 7.7 million hospitalized and 586,000 dead.

That scenario, code-named “Crimson Contagion,” was simulated by the Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services in a series of exercises that ran from last January to August.

The simulation’s sobering results — contained in a draft report dated October 2019 that has not previously been reported — drove home just how underfunded, underprepared and uncoordinated the federal government would be for a life-or-death battle with a virus for which no treatment existed.

The draft report, marked “not to be disclosed,” laid out in stark detail repeated cases of “confusion” in the exercise. Federal agencies jockeyed over who was in charge. State officials and hospitals struggled to figure out what kind of equipment was stockpiled or available. Cities and states went their own way on school closings.

Many of the potentially deadly consequences of a failure to address the shortcomings are now playing out in all-too-real fashion across the country. And it was hardly the first warning for the nation’s leaders. Three times over the past four years the U.S. government, across two administrations, had grappled in depth with what a pandemic would look like, identifying likely shortcomings and in some cases recommending specific action. ...
Squire
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheed

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Mar 2020, 13:20

and yet in Australia the Death rate is well under the Common Flu and far less numbers, 350,000 infections and well over4.000 deaths last year from the Flu .... WHere is the panic …
The Australian Government have done very well with this Pandemic and not really a problem in Australia... Go ScoMo your doing a great job...
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 20 Mar 2020, 13:27

DonDeeHippy wrote:and yet in Australia the Death rate is well under the Common Flu and far less numbers, 350,000 infections and well over4.000 deaths last year from the Flu .... WHere is the panic …
The Australian Government have done very well with this Pandemic and not really a problem in Australia... Go ScoMo your doing a great job...

again, it's not just the deaths you should be focusing on. As far as deaths go I agree it's a fairly mild version of the flu. BUT, If coronavirus is left to go unchecked our health system will collapse. Especially now that we're coming into the flu season anyway, it's already a busy period for the medico's.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Mar 2020, 13:53

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:and yet in Australia the Death rate is well under the Common Flu and far less numbers, 350,000 infections and well over4.000 deaths last year from the Flu .... WHere is the panic …

again, it's not just the deaths you should be focusing on. As far as deaths go I agree it's a fairly mild version of the flu. BUT, If coronavirus is left to go unchecked our health system will collapse. Especially now that we're coming into the flu season anyway, it's already a busy period for the medico's.

Where is the government leaving the corona virus go unchecked ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby Squire » 20 Mar 2020, 13:59

Scomo is not doing anything which is his best skill apart from screwing up.
Squire
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 20 Mar 2020, 14:07

DonDeeHippy wrote:Where is the government leaving the corona virus go unchecked ?

:b
i didn't say they were
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Mar 2020, 16:57

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Where is the government leaving the corona virus go unchecked ?

i didn't say they were

Agreed there is no problem... :purple
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 20 Mar 2020, 18:31

DonDeeHippy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i didn't say they were

I didn't say that either. We're going into lockdown. Everyone knows it, Scomo is even hinting at it. Scomo is stalling. Why? Cause he's an idiot. We'd would have been far better served getting it over and done with. If he'd done this 2 or 3 weeks ago the rate of infection would most likely have flat lined already. Now with over 700 cases around the country, it's take another 2 or 3 months to flat line. The longer he waits, the more widespread the virus throughout the community, the longer the recovery.
FD.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby Lols » 20 Mar 2020, 19:20

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i didn't say they were

I didn't say that either. We're going into lockdown. Everyone knows it, Scomo is even hinting at it. Scomo is stalling. Why? Cause he's an idiot. We'd would have been far better served getting it over and done with. If he'd done this 2 or 3 weeks ago the rate of infection would most likely have flat lined already. Now with over 700 cases around the country, it's take another 2 or 3 months to flat line. The longer he waits, the more widespread the virus throughout the community, the longer the recovery.

Yes I notice the use of the word "lockdown" once or twice, like we are being prepared, little by little, closing down.

I think weddings should have been postponed, all the hugging and kissing, now in NSW, a pregnant bride and her hubby had the virus, and 35 others in their wedding party have it.
In the USA the same thing happened, and some of the wedding guests/family have died as a result.

I mean, there will be a lot of stories coming out of this.

I have practiced staying home since Monday, and I must say I was getting edgy, but my work is mainly from home and computer and phone calls.
We need to go up to Qld to a house that is now empty, needing some cleaning up and repairs, decking glazed, and a quote for painting interior, and will do that if flights are still operational interstate, if there is a lockdown, then we are stuffed.
Shit all happens at the same time.
It feels like worlds are colliding.

Anyway, back on track, what would everyone do, if they are to stay at home and not go out for a month at least?

Back on topic, I believe that sooner action should have been taken, but I know what it would be like, damned if it happens, and damned when it does.
Too early being called an alarmist.

I am a little miffed, early last week, there were only 78 cases in Australia, now it is reaching 900 !

Surely, all governments, as soon as they knew of an outbreak, before it being declared pandemic, were already prepared to know what to implement into action to stop it earlier?
Prepared for war seems easier than a virus.

No checks at airports for incoming passengers, and no checks if they are self-isolating, people have been caught out and about having a good time instead of staying in isolation.

There is much strictness with cruise ships, but not with airplanes?
Now there will be.
Qantus is grounding their fleet, hence my son's wife has no paid work until at least end of May.
He works as a sole trader, and his work has gone quiet of clientele.
Their mortgage is through a broker, I heard the big banks now are stopping mortgage payments for up to 6 months, I wonder if other lenders do that also?

Re: flu and covid-19
There has been an huge increase in people seeking the flu shot.
That's good, so hopefully we see less people suffering or spreading the normal flu, since Covid-19 can cause system overload in hospitals and medical staff.

But, apparently, you can catch the flu and this covid-19 at the same time.

I see there are measures being taken into place, like extra ventilators, beds, all sorts of things, and it looks good for tens of thousands they may expect that will catch this covid-19.
That seems a bit re-assuring.
I think as we are a big spread apart country, will slow it's spread, unlike smaller countries in Europe with almost 3 times the population as Oz.

This is not the flu, it is something different, otherwise why such drastic measures?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 20 Mar 2020, 20:07

Lols wrote: 900 !

the number is expected to double every 5 days

Lols wrote:We need to go up to Qld to a house that is now empty, needing some cleaning up and repairs, decking glazed, and a quote for painting interior, and will do that if flights are still operational interstate, if there is a lockdown, then we are stuffed.

Not a good time to travel. You shouldn't take the chance. Do you have a real estate agent manage the property? If so they should be able to arrange all that work for you.
If not, you have family up here don't you? Perhaps they can manage the work for you?
Otherwise, arrange for a project manager, builder or home handy man to manage it. Sure it will cost more short term, but you'll get it done and back in the rental pool quickly. Better than leaving it empty for 6 months+ waiting for the travel ban to pass. Besides with the economy going the way it is, tradies will be dropping prices to get the work.
FD.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby pinkeye » 21 Mar 2020, 01:15

Yeah and we are getting a cascade of information.

Hey Lols, ? you want help in SEQ.. might know someone who can do it.

In Quara at the mo having got back from Bali a few days ago.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Return to Sand Pit