Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Gardening

Post by HBS Guy »

OK, I have decided to move the 3 apple and one crabapple trees from the front (house side) of the big pergola. This gives me a roughly 3m x 8m sheltered spot for citrus trees: lemon and 3-4 dwarf blood orange trees: blood orange marmalade is to die for! Can also plant a crepe myrtle or two

Only planted the three apple trees last year so not too hard AT THIS STAGE to move them. Then can have clematis growing up the pergola posts, star jasmine all over the top of the pergola, some grapevine (Merlot or Malbec or whatever) along the front without the apple trees being shaded.

WHERE to put them I will work out in September.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Worked out a program of work for the three weeks in, hopefully, September based on someone helping me. Can’t help. Shit! So do a program, realise not realistic, started a new one from scratch. Good. Use rotary hoeing to speed up the work, finish the 2 page detailed schedule. Realise that spread the gypsum, sand, loam and compost before the rotary hoeing is done and the hoe will dig in the sand etc, saving me heaps of time—my soil is HEAVY!

So tomorrow, rejig the brand new schedule, hopefully for the last time. I also think I know where the apple trees from the front of the big pergola can go.

Reckon next year will get a landscape designer to design a nice backyard, incorporating the two pergolas and the gazebo I want.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

Hey..!

Sounds like too much work for you in 2-3weeks my friend. Remember, don't climb ladders.!!! :)
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Will be fine. Heaviest work is transplanting nine cider apple trees—will water the ground around them, make the soil easier to dig. Ladders not involved.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

:roll
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Actually, heaviest work will be planting the Stella cherry. Needs excellent drainage. So dig a wide hole, make it deeper around the outside than in the centre, fill the deeper parts with gravel. Pickaxe work—again, will water that ground well before I start digging.