Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2020, 06:30

Mum got a cold ahahahahaha told her that her immune system does not work.

Strange you say I am optimistic when I described measures I can take in case I cannot get there in September.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Mar 2020, 07:06

HBS Guy wrote:Mum got a cold ahahahahaha told her that her immune system does not work.

Strange you say I am optimistic when I described measures I can take in case I cannot get there in September.

Because you haven't collapsed into a ball of fear you must be a optimist.... :stop
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2020, 07:14

I can stick to the house and garden, two trips a week to the Central Market for fresh food but can survive for a month without being able to go out. Do have a lemon and a pomegranate tree and once we get some rain will get a few rows of lettuce, spinach, kale etc etc going.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Mar 2020, 07:29

HBS Guy wrote:I can stick to the house and garden, two trips a week to the Central Market for fresh food but can survive for a month without being able to go out. Do have a lemon and a pomegranate tree and once we get some rain will get a few rows of lettuce, spinach, kale etc etc going.

Yeah if worse comes to worse we have 2 full tanks of water (50,000 litres) and a bore.. 3 gardens, I have the caravan set up for free camping so even if the power is out we have light and a fridge. Generator back up. Plenty of gas for cooking also 2 hectares of wood if need be. About 3-4 weeks of provisions. 3 push bikes to goto town if fuel runs out. We live in a small road and I host parties for our neighbours we all know each other have each others numbers and available to help anyone in need for about 1KM away... A few Pensioners if it goes to mad max mode I can go look at. We also all have CB radio's if the phones go down.. :purple
That is of course if the Corona Fear virus collapses Australia.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2020, 07:57

Cabin fever is gonna be huge and is the reason I went to the Barossa last Friday. I suggested to Mum we take a walk everyday the weather is not total crap, doesn’t need to be far but gets us out the house!

Also taking advantage of the virus to get Mum’s junk—cubic metres—sorted, some thrown away (op shop) the rest put into cupboards so I can vacuum the carpet and apply Vanish carpet cleaner, that will be good, nice clean base. I will go through open shelves, take everything off, clean, put back as little as possible. Yup, it takes something like a deadly virus to have Mum tidy up and stow away her craft (crochet, knitting, sewing) stuff. She could get rid of 90% if she faced reality and worked out what she can still do and what she can’t. Anyway, I am taking her cross stitch (a simple form of embroidery) stuff to the op shop today assuming they are open, else a rubbish bin.

Demi may have done us one last service—built up what is left of our immune systems. If we both get through this alive then Demi is part of the reason (and Tiffany before Demi.) Heh, I have china figurines that pretty well represent the Australian terrier we were given decades ago and Demi, none that represent Tiffany—but I will keep looking.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 24 Mar 2020, 23:24

Yes dogs are the best.. and I don't think they get Covid-19. I walk my big girl around the block most days.

She is still looking OK, so I am really glad I didn't take the chop it out route.

. I did some more mowing on my newly re-vamped fantastic mower today. Was all good... till I ran over a water hose. Seems it's wrapped around the blades.. big time. Stinking smoke poured out from under. :roll

'struth.... I'm an idiot sometimes. I knew the hoses were there. I had mowed high last time, but this time I dropped the deck a bit. :roll

So ummm I'm not sure how to deal with this. It is a big beast of a machine. I need to tip it on it's side, and find the balance point, so I can try to remove the burned -on plastic hose.

Umm ,, there are some deep ruts in the driveway.. so If I can position it properly I may be able to actually see the problem.. I have a big crowbar that I might be able to use to tip the beast, but, sigh... on my own... I'm just a wee slip of a girl.. :roll

I'm not sure. IF I CAN tip it, I'll need to have it next to my carport upright, so it can be leaned against it, and not fall over.
Oh dear,,, I think I might try the deep rut first... but goodness me that smoking burning plastic stinks really bad.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2020, 03:04

Geez, sounds petty bad, might need to take the blades off so you can clean them properly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 25 Mar 2020, 04:25

pinkeye wrote:Yes dogs are the best.. and I don't think they get Covid-19. I walk my big girl around the block most days.

She is still looking OK, so I am really glad I didn't take the chop it out route.

. I did some more mowing on my newly re-vamped fantastic mower today. Was all good... till I ran over a water hose. Seems it's wrapped around the blades.. big time. Stinking smoke poured out from under. :roll

'struth.... I'm an idiot sometimes. I knew the hoses were there. I had mowed high last time, but this time I dropped the deck a bit. :roll

So ummm I'm not sure how to deal with this. It is a big beast of a machine. I need to tip it on it's side, and find the balance point, so I can try to remove the burned -on plastic hose.

Umm ,, there are some deep ruts in the driveway.. so If I can position it properly I may be able to actually see the problem.. I have a big crowbar that I might be able to use to tip the beast, but, sigh... on my own... I'm just a wee slip of a girl.. :roll

I'm not sure. IF I CAN tip it, I'll need to have it next to my carport upright, so it can be leaned against it, and not fall over.
Oh dear,,, I think I might try the deep rut first... but goodness me that smoking burning plastic stinks really bad.

The smoking you can smell is more likely the belt for your blades, the blades would of stopped but not the belt and friction would of got it...
A good set of garden shears might be your best bet or a stanly knife...
If you have a Ratchet strap for your car, hook that onto a tree branch and your mower and jack it up that might help :) :purple
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 25 Mar 2020, 23:47

yeah good ..ideas.. I umm have seen the issue .. and YES you are right DDH, it was the belt burning. Bits of black rubber all over, but it still seems functional.
Anyway yeah there are two hose ends sticking out.. the blades don't seem to be caught up.. the hose is wrapped around the what? spigot, drive-shaft..?
the deck seems OK.. so
:roll I'll have a go moving it.. don't think I'll turn it on, unless I can't push it up a relatively small slope. All being good, I'll try the big crowbar.

Wish me luck. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2020, 00:57

well I didn't need your best wishes for good luck. :up :up
I managed to push it into place with my big crowbar.

I have it in position I think. ??

I'll have a go later today. Will tilt it and stabilise it, and then I'll cut off the hose.

Not 100% sure I have it in the right place to balance.

I will succeed because I can do it... all you need is confidence and an idea or two.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Mar 2020, 10:35

Heh, Row 1 of my cider apples has one Dabinet, 3 King David and 2 Golden Harvey.

Keepers nursery in the UK lists Dabinet as a pollinator of Golden Harvey but neither the UK or the US Orange Pippin sites list Dabinett as a pollinator. King David will pollinate Golden Harvey but not that much use—it is rated a poor pollinator. So, what if Dabinet does not, in fact, pollinate Golden Harvey? AARGHH!

So looked through all three sites and found:
White Blossom Crab, Sturmer Pippin, Dabinett(?), Cornish Aromatic, Cox Orange Pippin, Esopus Spitzenburg, Granny Smith, Egremont Russet, McIntosh,

So I could cut branches in active flower from a range of trees to hang in the Golden Harvey trees. Phew!

I used red as the color for trees in line with the cross pollinating tree—bees fly down rows, not across them tho with my little orchard I am overthinking all this massively.

Quite an international orchard with US (McIntosh, Esopus Spitzenburg and King David apples) English apples, an Australian apple (maybe a couple Australian crab apples later) and Australian, UK, French and Belgian pears!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2020, 16:29

Interesting! I will order both a Cox Orange Pippin and a Court Pendu Plat:

Court Pendu Plat is old apple variety from France, with a history dating back to the early 1600s and many earlier references. It was popular in Victorian times and still has a small following.

With such an ancient lineage it is perhaps no surprise that Court Pendu Plat is quite different from many other varieties. The most distinctive feature is the strange flattened appearance. The base is highly inverted and you can clearly see the flower stalk from which the apple formed. The colouring is light green flushed with orange and red.

The flesh is very dense, not soft but not crisp either. Cutting into it with a knife feels a bit like cutting into a hard cheddar cheese. There seems to be very little juice, and it is not really apple-flavoured at all. The flavour is fruity and strong when picked, and sweetens by Christmas. It is not actually very appealing when you first bite into it, yet is strangely "more-ish", with a flavour which is hard to define. It can also be used for cooking.

Although we have no proof, we think Court Pendu Plat could be somewhere in the ancestry of Cox's Orange Pippin. The size, flattened shape, colouration, and complex flavours of Cox are all there in Court Pendu Plat, albeit in a more primitive form. Cox's probable parent - Ribston Pippin - was apparently grown from a seedling brought to England from France in the early 1700s, a time when Court Pendu Plat was well-established on the Continent.

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/apples/court-pendu-plat

There is some talk that the Court Pendu Plat (Plat means flat) is the apple the Romans brought back from the near east. Think the apple would not last in the same form all that time. Another source records the CPP being mentioned in a 14th century English document: antique enough to stoke my interest!

I might just plant some pips from the COP and the CPP, see if a tree comes up that combines the best of both? Will do the same with pips from Golden Harvey and King David, Brown Snout and Dabinett! Fun! Sciency! Wondering if I could find a scanning electron microscope on Ebay? LOL!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 31 Mar 2020, 03:10

you are most definitely an optimist, no denying it.!

Good for you and love to your Mum.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2020, 08:53

What is the point of being a pessimist?

Tell you what tho: choosing a limited number of apples from the thousands of varieties is like the definition of the central economic problem: how to allocate limited means to satisfy the unlimited amount of wants and needs. There are thousands of apple varieties and choosing is difficult even after excluding all the supermarket type apples like the Golden Delicious, Gala etc.

Hell, maybe 18 types of cider apple varieties and trying to work out which to chose and in what numbers in the 18 spots I have was not easy. Dabinett seems agrees to be the premier cider variety and I will have six of those. Yarlington Mill, another bittersweet, seems a lot blander but is also a top variety. Four of those. King David, spicy-tart, sounds like it would make a nice tart cider and juice. Three of those. I had bought a Brown Snout because it bears very well every year so evening out the biennual Dabs and Mills but the more I read the better it sounded so I will buy two more and two Golden Harvey—strong sweet cider.

I had an Improved Foxwhelp tree, what to do? So two patches where four trees will be planted close together so root competition and pruning will keep them small. A crab apple to provide a bit of kick to a juice or cider and aromatic varieties to give an apple character to a cider (hard cider to Seth.)

Pears and cherries—not nearly as much choice so much easier! I chose pears that were nice and would pollinate the perry trees. I DID suddenly wake up and realise that 8 eating pears were too much and whittled it down to 5.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2020, 02:40

always good to have a plan.

So yeah I can't do much with the big mower. Can't tilt it.

Oh well not to worry, I'll get there.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2020, 03:53

Use a car jack to tilt the mower?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 03 Apr 2020, 01:25

That could have worked, but I got a friend to help , instead. :bgrin :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Apr 2020, 07:49

Good for you! :thumb :beer
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 03 Apr 2020, 08:26

pinkeye wrote:That could have worked, but I got a friend to help , instead. :bgrin :thumb

was his name Jack? :yahoo :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Previous

Return to Off Topic