Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

johnsmith
Lion
spamone: Animal

Re: Renewable energy developments

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 06:21
Isn't it curious that the two Australian states with the most ambitious renewable energy policies - Tasmania and South Australia - have Liberal governments, and no coal industry :purple

no. labor set up SA. The libs simply kept doing what labor started. Don't know much about tassie but wouldn't be surprised to find the same there

I guess it was good of them to not do an abbott and destroy policies already implemented just for the sake of it
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

There are windfarms being set up in Tassie, will supply the other states via Basslink. Good idea as Tassie dries out like WA/SA/Vic/NSW hydro will struggle.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Energy operator wants to remotely switch off rooftop solar systems amid 'uncontrolled growth'

Australia's electricity grid operator wants the power to remotely switch off or constrain the output of new rooftop solar systems, as it finds ways to manage South Australia's world-leading levels of "invisible and uncontrolled" solar output.

The recommendation is contained in a new report by the Australian Energy Market Operator, which sets out how it will manage the grid up to 2025.

At times, as much as 75 per cent of Australia's energy is forecast to be provided by wind and solar.

The report shows at certain points last year, 64 per cent of South Australia's power demand was met by rooftop solar alone.

AEMO's forecasts show that figure could grow as high 85 per cent by 2025, with rooftop solar also tipped to dominate supply at times in in Victoria (up to 66 per cent), Queensland (57 per cent) and New South Wales (48 per cent).

But the runaway success of solar power poses serious challenges for the security of the grid, because it operates "behind-the-meter", out of control of the authorities.

To manage the growth, AEMO is looking to impose requirements on new solar systems in South Australia to enable "generation-shedding capabilities" as soon as possible.

Other states and territories will be encouraged to adopt a similar approach.

While the use of batteries might help the market operator avoid powering down household rooftop systems, it describes the ability to remotely control panels as an essential "back-stop".

AEMO's managing director Audrey Ziebelman says the study makes clear that the current approaches used to manage the electricity market are becoming less effective as the grid continues its transformation to world-leading levels of renewable generation.

"Australia already has the technical capability to safely operate a power system where three quarters of our energy at times comes from wind and solar energy generation," Ms Ziebelman said.

"However, to do so requires changes in our markets and regulatory requirements, otherwise, AEMO will be required to limit the contribution of these wind and solar resources to 50 or 60 per cent of electricity supply at any point in time, even though they are the lowest cost way of providing electricity."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-30/ ... a/12202004

I hope the govt. tells them to fuck off.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

“The report shows at certain points last year, 64 per cent of South Australia's power demand was met by rooftop solar alone.”

That is amazing!

AEMO needs to move with the times! How about shutting an old coal fired generator? Be bloody nice to be off-grid! Panels, windmills, battery. Cooking with gas, reticulated or big gas bottle, firewood to heat the house. There is a book: “Toward a Zero Energy Home: A Complete Guide to Energy Self-Sufficiency at Home by DAVID GIBSON, SCOTT - JOHNSTON” that sounds interesting.

Maybe we should set up a subforum: Energy self sufficiency of the home? Be distinct from EVs and utility scale RE plants.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

How about a sticky thread here like in OZpol…. can we do that ?
Maybe

Better Home self sufficiency

that would include renewables, permaculture, efficiencies.. etc...
my title name sort of suck, need a better one. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Things really are moving fast in RE.

Read how electricity production dropped but not due to COVID19:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-14/ ... s/12242138

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

Some of u people might find this article interesting as there could be a viable solution to spent batteries.

Old batteries turned into fertiliser to grow food

Old batteries bound for landfills have been recycled to create a fertiliser, which could assist in growing crops.
Key points:
  • Only about 3 per cent of the estimated 158 million alkaline batteries used in Australia each year are recycled 

• Lithium Australia is trialling a zinc and manganese fertiliser developed from old alkaline batteries 

• Glasshouse trials of the battery fertiliser product have been encouraging, with field trials starting next week

Lithium Australia will soon start paddock trials of its manganese and zinc supplement made with old batteries near Kojonup, in Western Australia's Great Southern district.

The supplement comes from recycled alkaline batteries, which are single-use batteries often used in handheld devices such as a TV remote controls and children's toys.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Link? Please, include a relevant, high quality link with posts where relevant.

Blogs, YouTube are not, generally, high quality (being non-peer reviewed.)

But we need links!

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Chuck wrote:
27 May 2020, 09:11
Some of u people might find this article interesting as there could be a viable solution to spent batteries.

Old batteries bound for landfills have been recycled to create a fertiliser, which could assist in growing crops.
Key points:
  • Only about 3 per cent of the estimated 158 million alkaline batteries used in Australia each year are recycled 

• Lithium Australia is trialling a zinc and manganese fertiliser developed from old alkaline batteries 

• Glasshouse trials of the battery fertiliser product have been encouraging, with field trials starting next week

Lithium Australia will soon start paddock trials of its manganese and zinc supplement made with old batteries near Kojonup, in Western Australia's Great Southern district.

The supplement comes from recycled alkaline batteries, which are single-use batteries often used in handheld devices such as a TV remote controls and children's toys.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020- ... t/12212416

I think chuck gets stuff from a tablet, I know when I use my tablet it's not the easiest thing in the world to do links etc....
So here is a link

I know Aldi have a box you can put old batteries in, I wonder what they do with them.. Be good if supermarkets started having drop off stations, reuse, recycle... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
28 May 2020, 07:22
Chuck wrote:

Key points:

I think chuck gets stuff from a tablet, I know when I use my tablet it's not the easiest thing in the world to do links etc....
So here is a link

I know Aldi have a box you can put old batteries in, I wonder what they do with them.. Be good if supermarkets started having drop off stations, reuse, recycle... :purple
Most of the stuff that I find is from Apple news app.... I should’ve mentioned that was from the ABC

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I prefer links if at all possible, especially to the ABC which is a high quality source (tho the news service is little better than the Lib propaganda arm. Fuck the Libs!)

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:
28 May 2020, 09:53
I prefer links if at all possible, especially to the ABC which is a high quality source (tho the news service is little better than the Lib propaganda arm. Fuck the Libs!)
envy raises it's little green head again ……. :c

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Envy? Piss off! When the ABC “news service” mentions JobKeeper “a $70Bn project” when they know damn well it was a $130Bn project badly bungled by the pillock in the Lodge!

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
29 May 2020, 07:58
HBS Guy wrote:
28 May 2020, 09:53
envy raises it's little green head again ……. :c
The envious live on a planet called Accountant! :rofl
"Oi!"

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
02 May 2020, 04:53
Maybe

That's a good idea
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Chuck wrote:
28 May 2020, 09:47
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Key points:

So here is a link

Most of the stuff that I find is from Apple news app.... I should’ve mentioned that was from the ABC
Well I don't use on-line News for info . I DO agree that ABC and also NBN, particularly, are the most reliable real news source … we have here. Especially now that regional papers in many areas are being closed ASAP. Very sad indeed.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

pinkeye wrote:
30 May 2020, 01:04
DonDeeHippy wrote:
02 May 2020, 04:53
Maybe

That's a good idea
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6632

Mr Monk did it, Just haven't had the time to fill it up yet :)

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

pinkeye wrote:
30 May 2020, 01:09
Chuck wrote:
28 May 2020, 09:47
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Key points:

So here is a link

Well I don't use on-line News for info . I DO agree that ABC and also NBN, particularly, are the most reliable real news source … we have here. Especially now that regional papers in many areas are being closed ASAP. Very sad indeed.
The Guardian is also very good, fairly independent with a goal of exposing those that are polluting the world as a added bonus....

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

oh dear
I MEANT ABC AND SBS.

THE NBN is NOT a source of anything BUT stress and AGGRAVATION. TOTAL fucking disaster.!!

HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW OFTEN NOW live tv interviews are often dropped off< live on TV..?

hOW EMBARRASSING. hERE we are Australia, beating our chests, rattling our shields and shouting to the world how great we are... and then...?????

WE GOT THE NBN
sleeping is good for you

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

pinkeye wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:12
oh dear
I MEANT ABC AND SBS.

THE NBN is NOT a source of anything BUT stress and AGGRAVATION. TOTAL fucking disaster.!!

HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW OFTEN NOW live tv interviews are often dropped off< live on TV..?

hOW EMBARRASSING. hERE we are Australia, beating our chests, rattling our shields and shouting to the world how great we are... and then...?????

WE GOT THE NBN
"Is that Sonny Bill Williamson?"

<History will not treat Abbott and Turnbull well :rofl >
"Oi!"

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

There is a Newcastle Broadcasting Network—something good unlike the NBN after the Libs fucked it up.