Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

DonDeeHippy
Warthog
spamone: Animal

Re: Renewable energy developments

Post by DonDeeHippy »

https://insideevs.com/news/402838/fortu ... recycling/

Three companies, Fortum, BASF, and Nornickel (nickel refinery) have signed a letter of intent to plan an electric car battery recycling cluster in Harjavalta, Finland.
The idea is to develop a successful “closed loop” cycle to re-use the critical metals (like cobalt and nickel) present in used lithium-ion batteries.

“By recycling valuable metals in lithium-ion batteries we reduce the environmental impact of electric car batteries by complementing the supply of cobalt, nickel and other critical metals from primary sources. Through our previous acquisition of a Finnish growth company Crisolteq, an expert in low CO2 hydrometallurgical processing, we are very proud that Fortum is now able to increase the recovery rate of valuable materials in lithium-ion batteries from 50% to over 80%”.

“A modern recycling unit next to Nornickel Harjavalta would further strengthen its position as one of the most sustainable nickel refineries in the world. This setup is ideal for sustainable processing of two of the main metals used in Li-ion batteries. Development of recycling solutions will not only support Nornickel’s strategy of further lowering its CO2 footprint and improving sustainability, but it is also essential to enable the industry to meet the growing demand of critical metals in the electric vehicle sector,”

I wasn't sure if I should put this in here or EV news, It relates to both and just shows how good using batteries will be. Because of their size they will be economical to recycle and on re-use the demand of rare metals will lessen. :)
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

It is all just coming together, more RE, more EVs. Solar panel and windmill blades need to be recycled too

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:It is all just coming together, more RE, more EVs. Solar panel and windmill blades need to be recycled too
Solar panels also have about 95% recycling and only loss is separating the materials and through heat.. that is covered..
Windfarms are already over 90% recycled, we only hear about the blades that got put in a landfill... just laziness really. They are mostly Fiberglass, they can be ground down and reused or even better use them like sleepers to stop erosion or for retaining walls...
Just thinking of uses now, they could also be cut in 1 metre lengths and used for garden beds or put a bottom on them and use for tanks.
Dig big holes and use them for wells.. really when you start to think about it there and so many things they can be used for....
Remember the 3 R's
Reduce, Reuse Recycle.....
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

And Repair.

Who the hell knows how to darn a sock these days?

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:And Repair.

Who the hell knows how to darn a sock these days?
I noticed the EU last year passed a law requiring anything sold there needs to have parts available for at least 10 years, lots of stuff especially electronic gear was only keeping parts for a few years (phones, TV's and Computers) :purple

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

“Ah, I need a spare heel for a 2022 Mark 3 sock in beige, size 9 please”

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/15/ut ... of-europe/

Utrecht Plans To Expand Its Car-Free Zone To Become Bicycle Capitol Of Europe

The city is famous for the number of its residents who rely on bicycles to get around. It built the first bike lane in in the Netherlands in 1885. Last year it built the world’s largest multi-story bicycle parking garage with room for 12,500 bikes.

Now a new development of 6,000 homes in the city’s Merwede district is being planned with bicycles as the preferred mode of transportation. It is expected to be serviced by 20,000 bicycles but no cars, with construction scheduled to begin in 2022. The new 24-hectare community will be home to about 12,000 people and will include 2 new primary schools, a high school, and several health centers, together with an assortment of shops and businesses, according to The Guardian.

Car parks with a total capacity of 1,800 cars will be built underground near the logistical roads. That equates to less than one parking space for every three homes. There will be no assigned spaces and the cost of parking will be high enough to discourage people from bringing cars to the area. “It should be easier to get a bike than it should be to get a car,” the project’s architect, Marco Broekman, tells The Guardian.
Along the logistical roads, there will be parking for 300 shared cars the residents can use. The nearest large parking area for those who insist on owning a car will be located 3 kilometers away. Kees Diepeveen, a local alderman, says residents of Utrecht are rapidly changing their attitudes about owning motor vehicles. “We have the highest number of shared cars [per capita] in the Netherlands. It is amazing to see how the average household is changing its habits. This especially counts for the younger generations.”
The new Merwede district will have the largest underground heat and cold storage facility in the Netherlands. Water from the nearby Merwedekanaal will be used for cooling in the summer. The roofs of all the new homes and buildings will be covered by gardens or solar panels — an idea borrowed from Paris which now mandates the roof of all new buildings be covered with vegetation or solar panels.

How awesome is this, Got to admire the Dutch they are really trying to be sustainable... :purple

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

If they ain’t sustainable they will be drowned by the North Sea! Some motivation there. Utrecht is where an uncle of mine had a big house—the DeBilt part of Utrecht which I visited in Dec 1979—we celebrated Christmas there. Definitely an upmarket city. When it comes to bikes Holland has two advantges—it is flat as a pancake and small and compact.

I flew into England and stayed with an uncle who moved there in the 1950s. Went to London by train Mon–Fri then Fri night took the ferry from Dover to, well forgot where, likely Calais. Drove across Holland: road was raised for drainage and it really felt like being a fly on a plate, agoraphobia hit me very very mildly, too used to the Adelaide Hills being the backdrop. Can’t remember how far we could see but saw several villages all the way to the horizon, very weird and a trifle unsettling to an Aussie! Flat!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/15/ut ... of-europe/

The city is famous for the number of its residents who rely on bicycles to get around. It built the first bike lane in in the Netherlands in 1885. Last year it built the world’s largest multi-story bicycle parking garage with room for 12,500 bikes.

Now a new development of 6,000 homes in the city’s Merwede district is being planned with bicycles as the preferred mode of transportation. It is expected to be serviced by 20,000 bicycles but no cars, with construction scheduled to begin in 2022. The new 24-hectare community will be home to about 12,000 people and will include 2 new primary schools, a high school, and several health centers, together with an assortment of shops and businesses, according to The Guardian.

Car parks with a total capacity of 1,800 cars will be built underground near the logistical roads. That equates to less than one parking space for every three homes. There will be no assigned spaces and the cost of parking will be high enough to discourage people from bringing cars to the area. “It should be easier to get a bike than it should be to get a car,” the project’s architect, Marco Broekman, tells The Guardian.
Along the logistical roads, there will be parking for 300 shared cars the residents can use. The nearest large parking area for those who insist on owning a car will be located 3 kilometers away. Kees Diepeveen, a local alderman, says residents of Utrecht are rapidly changing their attitudes about owning motor vehicles. “We have the highest number of shared cars [per capita] in the Netherlands. It is amazing to see how the average household is changing its habits. This especially counts for the younger generations.”
The new Merwede district will have the largest underground heat and cold storage facility in the Netherlands. Water from the nearby Merwedekanaal will be used for cooling in the summer. The roofs of all the new homes and buildings will be covered by gardens or solar panels — an idea borrowed from Paris which now mandates the roof of all new buildings be covered with vegetation or solar panels.

How awesome is this, Got to admire the Dutch they are really trying to be sustainable... :purple
it'll work great, until the residents blow their knees ... then they're screwed :nah :nah
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/15/ut ... of-europe/

it'll work great, until the residents blow their knees ... then they're screwed :nah :nah
The Muscles from Riding bikes are very good to stop blowing out Knee's, If they do they can just get a Electric Pushbike :)

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote: The Muscles from Riding bikes are very good to stop blowing out Knee's, If they do they can just get a Electric Pushbike :)
i was joking ... knowing me, I was probably after a bit of sympathy. Not that you noticed :grn
I doubt i could manage to use even an electric bike right now.

I would guess they would have arrangements in place for people who have mobility issues. Some sort of tuk tuk like bikes or tricycles
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote: The Muscles from Riding bikes are very good to stop blowing out Knee's, If they do they can just get a Electric Pushbike :)
i was joking ... knowing me, I was probably after a bit of sympathy. Not that you noticed :grn
I doubt i could manage to use even an electric bike right now.

I would guess they would have arrangements in place for people who have mobility issues. Some sort of tuk tuk like bikes or tricycles
no I laughed when I saw the comment, because been there done that....I tore the tendons on my arm a few years back and made many comments like that.....I'm sure my partner was glad when I healed up... :purple

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Holland has “bromfietsen” slightly heavier bikes with a small petrol motor, hence “buzzbike.”

Can get electric versions: customer at the shop had one, motor cycle battery, lasted, hmmm forget now, 6 months or a year. Would have liked to buy one but it had small diameter wheels, hitting a pothole with those small wheels might cause problems.

Bongalong
Warthog

Post by Bongalong »

A Harley shop in Dianella closed down a few months ago: don't know why but it boomed for decades!
"Oi!"

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... his-agenda
The last time America was facing a possible economic depression, Rahm Emanuel, Barack Obama’s chief of staff, observed: “Never allow a good crisis go to waste. It’s an opportunity to do the things you once thought were impossible.”
It is advice Donald Trump and his Republican allies appear to have taken to heart.
Faced with not one but two crises – public health and economic – Obama’s successor and his allies are advancing their agenda, whether in plain sight as a direct response to the pandemic, or under cover while the nation is deeply distracted.
The White House has advanced major environmental rollbacks and relaxed enforcement rules for polluters who say they are affected by the pandemic. The continued deregulation comes even as emerging research proves people in communities with more air pollution are more likely to die from Covid-19.

Last month the US Environmental Protection Agency replaced the Obama administration’s biggest climate effort, weakening rules for auto companies to make new cars that could run on less gasoline. The announcement had long been expected in March, and the agency said it was under a tight legal deadline to complete the new regulation.
Trump officials are also moving forward with rollbacks for toxic ash and mercury emissions from coal plants, and changes to how climate change is considered in environmental reviews for highways and pipelines.

He is also renewing the Tar sand pipeline, now that the protestors have to isolate and can't do their thing...
USA you get what you voted for.... :purple

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:USA you get what you voted for....
exactly
FD.

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

The idea is to develop a successful “closed loop” cycle to re-use the critical metals (like cobalt and nickel) present in used lithium-ion batteries.

Can we trust China not to pollute the oceans?

Cobalt crusts are a promising resource on the sea floor because they contain large amounts of cobalt, nickel, manganese and other metals that could exceed the content in land deposits.

It has been estimated that there are over 33,000 seamounts worldwide. The exact number is not known. Around 57 per cent are located in the Pacific. The Pacific is thus the most important cobalt crust region in the world.

Because the cobalt crusts are firmly attached to the rocky substrate, they cannot simply be picked up from the bottom like manganese nodules. They will have to be laboriously separated and removed from the underlying rocks.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

Chuck wrote:Can we trust China not to pollute the oceans?
they can't do any worse then the west has already done
FD.

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

If not oil and gas, what? If not now, when?

It starts with our need for clean energy. We’re in the midst of an energy revolution: Cities and countries around the globe are switching to clean energy to curb their carbon emissions. It’s become a common government and company promise to say ‘net-zero carbon emissions by insert-year-here.’ With so many proposed transitions to renewables, the real lynchpin is keeping up with the demands for infrastructure. And this means metals.

Battery storage, solar and wind power generation, and continued tech advancement require metals like neodymium, dysprosium, tellurium, cadmium, lithium, and cobalt, to name a few.

A single Tesla Model S battery alone contains over 60 kilograms of lithium. And sure, maybe we can’t all afford a Tesla, but if you want a zero carbon-emitting solar power and electricity at night, batteries — and lithium — are still key.

The skinny on deep-sea mining
Following this growing interest, the U.N. responded in 1982 with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, a treaty that sought to regulate the high seas by declaring them the “common heritage of mankind.” It also created three institutions to govern the exploitation of the ocean, including the International Seabed Authority, or ISA.
It’s clear that the U.N. intended the resources of the seas to be used, but also regulated.

If we revisit this wistful Tesla example, a lithium-ion battery contains lithium, nickel, and cobalt, two of which (lithium and cobalt) Tesla already is says are in short supply.
Most lithium comes from the “Lithium Triangle” — Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia — where the sought-after resource uses huge amounts of fresh water in an already arid region and pollutes the rest with toxic chemicals.

Cobalt is no better; the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the main supplier of the world’s cobalt, where an unknown number of children work in hazardous mine conditions for meager pay.

Basically, your hands might be dirty, even if your technology is “clean.” And, to put a cherry on top of this harrowing sundae, there’s evidence to support the fact that many terrestrial ore grades, or the quality of extracted metals, are falling.

Recycling these metals isn’t viable yet — there isn’t much infrastructure in place yet. Plus, even if we built up the systems, it is expected that the new demand will exceed the existing supply within 20 years.

We simply need more metals. As demand for these metals continues to climb, and the viability of traditional mining falls, some look to deep-sea mining as an unavoidable outcome.

So, is it inevitable that we inflict some damage on the deep-sea in order to create green infrastructure?

As I’ve mentioned quite a number of times "whatever mankind does, results in unintended consequences, all we can hope for, is that it has less detrimental affect then what is replacing".

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

The future of electric cars may depend on mining critically important metals on the ocean floor.

That's the view of the engineer leading a major European investigation into new sources of key elements.
Demand is soaring for the metal cobalt - an essential ingredient in batteries and abundant in rocks on the seabed.

Laurens de Jonge, who's running the EU project, says the transition to electric cars means "we need those resources".

He was speaking during a unique set of underwater experiments designed to assess the impact of extracting rocks from the ocean floor.

In calm waters 15km off the coast of Malaga in southern Spain, a prototype mining machine was lowered to the seabed and 'driven' by remote control.

Cameras attached to the Apollo II machine recorded its progress and, crucially, monitored how the aluminium tracks stirred up clouds of sand and silt as they advanced.

An array of instruments was positioned nearby to measure how far these clouds were carried on the currents - the risk of seabed mining smothering marine life over a wide area is one of the biggest concerns.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Plenty of Lithium , no need to go to the sea bed, Tesla for one are using less and less cobalt, and just about all battery manufacturers are working out ways to use less or none.....
Battery chemistry is changing so much and so many laboratories using different combinations... I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years we will have all new compounds, then to work out if we have good resources... :purple

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:Can we trust China not to pollute the oceans?
they can't do any worse then the west has already done
I'll be kind too u and assume that ur contrarian comments is just to annoy me!

U seem have the mental brake on, and can't progress mentally, that the West has moved on.

I used the word TRUST for China.

U are odds, even with most of China's people, who don’t even trust their govt. or their manufacturers.

To assist ur stagnant mind, recall the baby formula saga!

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

DonDeeHippy wrote:Plenty of Lithium , no need to go to the sea bed, Tesla for one are using less and less cobalt, and just about all battery manufacturers are working out ways to use less or none.....
Battery chemistry is changing so much and so many laboratories using different combinations... I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years we will have all new compounds, then to work out if we have good resources... :purple
U choose to ignore current adverse effect on the community and the environment simply for EV!

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

Chuck wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Plenty of Lithium , no need to go to the sea bed, Tesla for one are using less and less cobalt, and just about all battery manufacturers are working out ways to use less or none.....
U choose to ignore current adverse effect on the community and the environment simply for EV!
What...? In which way am I ignoring adverse effects on the environment and community with EV's....

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Chuck wrote:
What...? In which way am I ignoring adverse effects on the environment and community with EV's....
Firstly do u take in what I put on this website?

If we revisit this wistful Tesla example, a lithium-ion battery contains lithium, nickel, and cobalt, two of which (lithium and cobalt) Tesla already is says are in short supply.
Most lithium comes from the “Lithium Triangle” — Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia — where the sought-after resource uses huge amounts of fresh water in an already arid region and pollutes the rest with toxic chemicals.

Cobalt is no better; the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the main supplier of the world’s cobalt, where an unknown number of children work in hazardous mine conditions for meager pay.

Basically, your hands might be dirty, even if your technology is “clean.” And, to put a cherry on top of this harrowing sundae, there’s evidence to support the fact that many terrestrial ore grades, or the quality of extracted metals, are falling.

Have u got any investment in any company’s that is beneficial to EV?