Renewable energy developments

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Re: Renewable energy developments

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Feb 2020, 22:07

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, would like to see those. Maybe not for cooker but to heat a greenhouse at night maybe—was thinking just having a compost heap in the greenhouse would be enough.

Started asking re permissions and whether I can extend the greenhouse past the building line. Bit more complicated than the pergolas—should have expected that as a greenhouse has a solid roof albeit only a sheet of poly (probably) with the first 500mm maybe solid sheets to allow the vines to be planted outside and trained to grow into the greenhouse.

Good thing that I started now tho: if it can’t go past the building line/stick out past the front of the house I will have to put it in the back or make it 2-3 connected greenhouses running from the side fence towards the house. Eight metres space there less 900mm fire separation and the the first vines can be 2m from the house so 5m from side fence to house and, assuming have to stay inside the building line, 12 – 4.5 = 8.5m wide = 42.5sqm. 2 rows of 3 vines but lots of canes so lots of grapes.

Built up beds for veges that can’t handle a Tassie winter—fill with composted manure etc—no dig gardening. Parterre potager the same—fuck digging all that clay!

https://www.treehugger.com/renewable-en ... -home.html

https://www.homebiogas.com/

they sell them in Australia too :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Dax » 09 Feb 2020, 08:38

Those digesters are made of plastic, which defeats the purpose as plastics produce more green house gases than methane and when heated from the sun, release huge amounts of estrogen and other harmful gases.

It's simple to build a digester from your septic and 200lt metal drums, which are recyclable and don't release harmful gases and create useless waste as does plastic junk. You can also use kitchen waste and your compost to produce methane, as well as heat which can be used to heat water, or your house and all with cheap materials you can get from tips, waste stations and just about anywhere for free.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 09:02

Dax wrote:Those digesters are made of plastic, which defeats the purpose as plastics produce more green house gases than methane and when heated from the sun, release huge amounts of estrogen and other harmful gases.

It's simple to build a digester from your septic and 200lt metal drums, which are recyclable and don't release harmful gases and create useless waste as does plastic junk. You can also use kitchen waste and your compost to produce methane, as well as heat which can be used to heat water, or your house and all with cheap materials you can get from tips, waste stations and just about anywhere for free.

Knowing all that is in part true doesn’t help old farts like me who have phsyical limitations.
I wasn’t aware oestrogen was a gas. Must be why certain individuals turn me on as soon as they enter a room.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Dax » 09 Feb 2020, 09:15

karlrand wrote:
Dax wrote:Those digesters are made of plastic, which defeats the purpose as plastics produce more green house gases than methane and when heated from the sun, release huge amounts of estrogen and other harmful gases.

Knowing all that is in part true doesn’t help old farts like me who have physical limitations.
I wasn’t aware estrogen was a gas. Must be why certain individuals turn me on as soon as they enter a room.

I'm in my 70's, still do all my own manual work on all my machinery, vehicles and buildings, although not on my Kona, have yet to get to grips with the technology. Run every day, cook my food on the methane we produce and am completely self sufficient in my home.

They have found large amounts of estrogen in water ways and oceans, along with mutated fish who have become more female and in other forms of life . The human race consumes huge amounts of estrogen each time they eat processed and even natural food, because they are all contained and cooked in plastics. Which could account for the growing incidence of gender changing and confused sexuality, along with the collapse of logic and reason in humanity.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2020, 09:31

Homosexuality is normal and natural.

Female hormones can affect men of course—they can grow boobs etc.

I don’t cook in plastic.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 09 Feb 2020, 09:37

HBS Guy wrote:Homosexuality is normal and natural.

Who said it wasn't.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2020, 09:47

“the growing incidence of gender changing and confused sexuality”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 10:09

HBS Guy wrote:Homosexuality is normal and natural.[/quuote] I’ll remind you of that when and if we ever meet. :beer

Female hormones can affect men of course—they can grow boobs etc.

I don’t cook in plastic.

The odd thing is the notion of ‘homosexuality’ as an identity is a relatively new idea. Prior to Freud et al our species regarded itself as potentially polymorphous perverse with only self discipline having us ’toe the line’.

I’ve just realised though that in this discussion I’ve managed (no wonder I’m ‘queer’) to confuse oestrogen with testosterone.
And yes, synthetic hormones are saturating the environment triggering all manner of nasty effects; not just our own species but all life on the planet.
I recently had a nasty argument with a friend who’d invited me to dine at his abode. I’d heard of this new ’sous vide’ food fad assuming it simply applied to slow cooking. However, I was horrified to notice the meat offered had been simmering at a low temp overnight encased in plastic. The thought of what might have leached out of the plastic scared me into refusing to partake. Sadly an argument followed but no way was I going to be nagged into eating something simmered in plastic overnight. I have the same attitude to microwaving food in plastic.
I often wonder how much I eat in resturants has been subjected to the same treatment.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 09 Feb 2020, 11:18

It seems my messages to be cautious about what we believe is a solution to an environmental problem may still be detrimental to nature or the environment.

Shouldn’t we take heed and learn from the past?

Should we view batteries in a similar fashion as the automobile was viewed in past, as an environmental saviour?

Green's promoting plastic bags as the solutions to paper bags - to save the trees etc
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby Dax » 09 Feb 2020, 12:11

Chuck wrote:It seems my messages to be cautious about what we believe is a solution to an environmental problem may still be detrimental to nature or the environment.

Should we view batteries in a similar fashion as the automobile was viewed in past, as an environmental saviour?

Green's promoting plastic bags as the solutions to paper bags - to save the trees etc

Most of the things everyone uses in their lives are detrimental to the environment and life in general. It's only natural evolving things which contribute to decent life. Anyone who cooks on microwaves, are really stupid, the same for eating in the majority of restaurants, the food is heavily contaminated lacks any decent nutritional value and is just junk, They use plastic for just about everything, have sacked a number of supposed chefs over the years who couldn't cook anything without using microwaves, diaries, plastic wrappings and heaps of salt and sugars.

Back on topic, renewable energies, to be renewable and safe, must have no detrimental effect on the planet and the way we all live our lives, that's impossible.

Batteries aren't our universal saviour, they are just a transitional thing. The only way we can get away with using energy safely for the planet, is to get rid of 99% of humans. Otherwise it will never matter what we come up with, it's humans which cause all the problems and always will, as long as ideology rules the world and not reality.
Last edited by Dax on 09 Feb 2020, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Feb 2020, 12:12

Chuck wrote:It seems my messages to be cautious about what we believe is a solution to an environmental problem may still be detrimental to nature or the environment.

That's no excuse to not change the way we do things if we know those ways are detrimental to us and our land... Eyes wide open though :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 09 Feb 2020, 14:50

DonDeeHippy wrote:

That's no excuse to not change the way we do things if we know those ways are detrimental to us and our land... Eyes wide open though :purple

I’ve never argued that we shouldn’t make changes!

All I’ve said is "hopefully the solution is less detrimental then that it is replacing"
Maybe in hindsight, we should have stuck with the horse and cart and found a solution in removing the piss and manure quickly and efficiently?

It is the rate of change that people are against which is being demanded by youngsters these days.

The generation companies have continually, been making improvements in efficiency and minimising pollution.

If anything, I would say it was the State owned power station that set the standard for forcing the private sector to clean up their act.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 15:38

Chuck wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

I’ve never argued that we shouldn’t make changes!

All I’ve said is "hopefully the solution is less detrimental then that it is replacing"
Maybe in hindsight, we should have stuck with the horse and cart and found a solution in removing the piss and manure quickly and efficiently?

It is the rate of change that people are against which is being demanded by youngsters these days.

The generation companies have continually, been making improvements in efficiency and minimising pollution.

If anything, I would say it was the State owned power station that set the standard for forcing the private sector to clean up their act.

In Australia, especially under the SEC, State owned power stations were far more efficient and well maintained than they were/are under private enterprise. The phrase ’shareholder benefit’ often hides a multitude of sins.
As to a rate of change, no speed is too fast when the catastrophe of delayed action looms. An increasing body of evidence suggests we’re already too late.
My theory is this mess got out of control when (for reasons unknown) it became unfashionable to mention the ‘population bomb’. In fact some of you are probably too young to even remember the phrase and what it represented.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2020, 16:24

oh, the population bomb gets a run on Twitter: the world is warming because of too many people not CO2.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 16:33

HBS Guy wrote:oh, the population bomb gets a run on Twitter: the world is warming because of too many people not CO2.

So, people aren’t resposible for the increase in CO2 production?
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 09 Feb 2020, 16:49

karlrand wrote:As to a rate of change, no speed is too fast when the catastrophe of delayed action looms. An increasing body of evidence suggests we’re already too late.
My theory is this mess got out of control when (for reasons unknown) it became unfashionable to mention the ‘population bomb’. In fact some of you are probably too young to even remember the phrase and what it represented.

Logic would then suggest that you tackle the greatest polluters, irrespective of their wealth standard in the world.

Not the fiasco, using per capita to engender a guilt feeling!
Or damaging a country's economy just to grandstand on the world stage.

On the man made pollution scale, we are insignificant to other countries.

The Extinction Rebellion should be targeting certain countries Embassies to redirect funding from space ventures to pollution control.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 17:09

Chuck wrote:
karlrand wrote:As to a rate of change, no speed is too fast when the catastrophe of delayed action looms. An increasing body of evidence suggests we’re already too late.

Logic would then suggest that you tackle the greatest polluters, irrespective of their wealth standard in the world.

Not the fiasco, using per capita to engender a guilt feeling!
Or damaging a country's economy just to grandstand on the world stage.

On the man made pollution scale, we are insignificant to other countries.

The Extinction Rebellion should be targeting certain countries Embassies to redirect funding from space ventures to pollution control.

And how are we to ‘attack’ the greatest polluters?
Guilt feelings? More effective to scare the living daylights out of an entire population. Reality is starting to do that but I suspect too late.
I don’t swallow your ‘on the man made pollution scale, we are insignificant to other countries’ The Rev Morrison has for some time been using that as one of his excuses for doing next to nothing. It’s a puerile argument as valid as ‘Your farts are smellier than mine’
And yes, redirecting funds from space ventures might help so long as we don’t dismantle the valuable monitoring capabilities of satellites observing environmental changes . Less money for astronomy could save us a packet but arguments can be made for ‘pure’ science (cyclotrons, nuclear torus etc) on the grounds a breakthrough in clean energy production may be a bi-product. Question is, does anyone have a clear idea if such breakthroughs will be made and put into useful production in time to save the planet?
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 09 Feb 2020, 17:52

I don’t swallow your ‘on the man made pollution scale, we are insignificant to other countries’ The Rev Morrison has for some time been using that as one of his excuses for doing next to nothing. It’s a puerile argument as valid as ‘Your farts are smellier than mine’

It not a childish argument if u take into consideration the amount of actual pollution emitted by China, India and the USA.

If u been reading my post I never said not to do nothing, and I believe we are doing something to mitigate pollution
Last edited by Chuck on 09 Feb 2020, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 09 Feb 2020, 18:07

Chuck wrote:I don’t swallow your ‘on the man made pollution scale, we are insignificant to other countries’ The Rev Morrison has for some time been using that as one of his excuses for doing next to nothing. It’s a puerile argument as valid as ‘Your farts are smellier than mine’

It not a childish argument if u take into consideration the amount of actual pollution emitted by China, India and the USA.

If u been reading my post I never said not to nothing, and I believe we are doing something to mitigate pollution

We pollute per capita far higher than most counties, I'm glad your feeling guilty for this.
China has 1400 million people we have 25 million of course they pollute more...….
To argue we don't have to change our ways because the world has 7,577 million people an we have 25 is just passing the buck...

It's like USA, I used to look up to them for a example on how to humanly treat people... they are only 5% of the world but where showing the way through example.... Then they set up concentration camps up for terrorists and illegal immigrants an blew it...
No matter if you are a small country or a individual there is no excuse for not being a good example, just because "everyone else is doing wrong"
DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 09 Feb 2020, 19:19

DonDeeHippy wrote:We pollute per capita far higher than most counties, I'm glad your feeling guilty for this.
China has 1400 million people we have 25 million of course they pollute more...….
To argue we don't have to change our ways because the world has 7,577 million people an we have 25 is just passing the buck...

No matter if you are a small country or a individual there is no excuse for not being a good example, just because "everyone else is doing wrong"
No guilt on my part but trying to be sensible and realistic about the situation.

But, if we are in dire straits, the per- capita argument is a waste of breathe!
The per-capita argument is only credible when time isn’t an issue.

China is developing a reputation for the destruction of mankind by damaging the world''s environment and spreading pestilence thro out the world.

Don’t forget the Chinese trying to destroy the cultures of other nations who are subject to their rule, including concentration camps
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby karlrand » 09 Feb 2020, 19:55

Chuck wrote:
Don’t forget the Chinese trying to destroy the cultures of other nations who are subject to their rule, including concentration camps

Wandering off topic so maybe another thread is called for.
I can’t get my head around the way so many Western Gov’ts prostitute themselves to China in the interest of trade when they know the Chinese Communist Party is guilty of appalling human rights abuses on a scale that rivals Nazi Germany.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 10 Feb 2020, 12:36

karlrand wrote:
Chuck wrote:

I can’t get my head around the way so many Western Gov’ts prostitute themselves to China in the interest of trade when they know the Chinese Communist Party is guilty of appalling human rights abuses on a scale that rivals Nazi Germany.

It is simply greed for cheap labour and I don’t understand why shareholders reward management for carrying out such a simple concept.

In my opinion China should’ve been languishing behind India when it comes to technology - lagging about 10 - 15 yrs.

It was the western business community that gave their kno how to China, as a criteria to access their cheap labour force.

These business people have aided and abetted a country that has turned out to be a threat to the Western world.

It’s very similar to the CIA supplying the mujahideen with modern weapon in Afghanistan and them turning against the Yanks.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby karlrand » 10 Feb 2020, 12:52

Chuck wrote:
karlrand wrote:
Chuck wrote:

It is simply greed for cheap labour and I don’t understand why shareholders reward management for carrying out such a simple concept.

In my opinion China should’ve been languishing behind India when it comes to technology - lagging about 10 - 15 yrs.

It was the western business community that gave their kno how to China, as a criteria to access their cheap labour force.

These business people have aided and abetted a country that has turned out to be a threat to the Western world.

It’s very similar to the CIA supplying the mujahideen with modern weapon in Afghanistan and them turning against the Yanks.

Agree, especially with your 'CIA supplying the mujahideen with modern weapons in Afghanistan and them turning against the Yanks

I hate to say it but the only thing I agree with Herr Trump on is the evil of China’s intellectual theft from the West.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 13:18

Their thieving spider Baidur I sometimes see here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Chuck » 10 Feb 2020, 18:16

I hate to say it but the only thing I agree with Herr Trump on is the evil of China’s intellectual theft from the West.

His unpredictable behaviour is his greatest advantage that keeps China and Russia in check!
As long as the republicans can keep his arrogant behaviour on a leash and occasionally pull the chocker chain if he starts getting too dangerous.
Chuck
mountain lion

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market