What makes the best dog?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 22:56

they are the one's. Very protective of their nests and chicks. I've seen them nesting in roundabouts...
plucky wee birds.. but nasty spikes on their Hmm ? elbows.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 11 Feb 2020, 09:26

Qld plovers have their nests on the ground. They are more prone to running at you squawking, "Piss off."
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby karlrand » 11 Feb 2020, 10:16

Aussie wrote:Qld plovers have their nests on the ground. They are more prone to running at you squawking, "Piss off."

Reminds me of some geriatric hippies living on the Atherton Tablelands I know.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2020, 21:54

No, they're real swoopers here.
They especially take on dogs... but all the birds around here know me and my dog.. never been swooped by any of the wild birds, although the odd Noisy Miner makes a fuss now and then.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby margie » 15 Feb 2020, 07:59

the best dog is one that lives
margie
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2020, 15:57

True, but even memories of a loved dog are nice:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 22:02

what a sweetheart.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 22:03

margie wrote:the best dog is one that lives

ahh ,, we are doomed to say goodbye to many of our friends, over the years.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2020, 05:54

pinkeye wrote:what a sweetheart.

Notice the dirty brown hairs on her lower jaw? Been doing her favorite thing, trying to smell any small animals so she can drive them out of cover and kill them. Part of being a terrier.

To us tho, a sweetheart.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2020, 00:06

My big girl is doing ok+.

Lacks stamina, but is eating well, and barking enthusiastically at supposed interlopers. :)

The sore has completely healed, and she seems as interested in cleaning her paws, as licking that spot. SIGH.

I suspect she is experiencing pain in her hindquarters tho..altho she seems free in her movement.

I imagine those of you who have dogs know how much they hate marsh/horse flies. Bloodsucking nasty things.

I have had the occasional bitey fly here over recent weeks.. but not too many.

My big girl seems to be feeling the bites of non-existent flies. Once or twice there was a fly, but most of the time I can see no obvious cause for her to be exhibiting this behaviour.
I will observe with care... as long as she grins and wants to join in, it's ok.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Feb 2020, 08:59

Try some fish oil. Demi, according to the vet, had arthritis—she did have a stiff walk, obviously back legs sore. Put her on fish oil tablets—no more sore back legs. The fish oil was also recommended (another time) for her grass allergy—plant proteins going through her skin and causing severe itching. Vet sold me some tiny cortisone tablets, told me to finish the course and use fish oil tablets (I used 2/3 the tablets, the other third the next summer—no probs after that apart from she drooled when walking on grass for a while. I eventually stopped the fish oil tablets for her, no longer needed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2020, 20:48

thanks for the info..
just.. it isn't arthritis....
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2020, 06:10

Still won’t hurt to give her a fish oil tablet or two a day. I take 5 a day for arthritis, does reduce the inflammation.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 19 Feb 2020, 23:45

Thanks for your concern , it is most welcome to know I am speaking to people who care.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2020, 09:27

I still miss Demi heaps! A character, a dog you could not trust for a minute when food was around, an escape artist—but always back in ten minutes, she knew where she got fed! Every evening she would come up for a “lovy dovy” wanting to be petted and made a fuss of for a few minutes. Very occasionally she would sit in my lap—too heavy for a lapdog really. Reliable disposer of bacon rinds, fish skins, capsicum/cucumber/carrot tops etc.

Then the time I woke up to see her snarling at me—must have discommoded her majesty during the waking up, then to see her quivering in every inch of her body because I had picked up a book to defend my face: obviously where she was born the people there hit her often and with books, rolled up magazines or whatever. She learned we did not hit dogs, perfect trust. I was disgusted at my species tho. Yes, puppies poop and pee, so train them to go in a spot in the garden.

The way dogs can pick up emotion in voices! The odd wet bit of carpet “Demi” I’d call but she must have picked up some undertones and stayed away. I am sure the previous owners did the “rub the dog’s nose in its mess” more than once. All I wanted to do was show her where she had peed and take her outside: ha, world war three ensued!

Good ratter tho her rather short legs meant some escaped for a while :rofl :rofl :rofl

She was outside, totally not interested in me coming and going through the back gate with sand for a path I was making then I opened the gate one more time‚—and she was running through it at her maximum speed—timing!

So yeah, I stand in the kitchen trimming rinds from strips of pancetta and in happier times I only had to look at Madame where she was sitting under the table in the dinette and she would get up and head for her food bowl. Memories. I have walked twice in the recent week or two to the local Westfield—odd to walk without a dog! Search in Members for a tale of high adventure “Dog bites man” that happened one time at that Westfield. As I said, she came from a home where she was physically abused, she trusted and loved us but strangers she was always wary with: the guy she bit must have done something to annoy or frighten Demi, didn’t take much. Never go to pet a dog, especially one tied up unless the owner is there and says it is OK. The man in the title must have done something to upset Demi and not by trying to pet her! In return, he kicked her very hard in her stomach, the hero,

Oh yeah, Taygen came and visited with her baby daughter and Demi was fascinated by this strange human who was so small, couldn’t speak or move under her own steam! Ha, crawled all around the baby, really puzzled. Hilarious to see.

Would love another dog, a puppy. Will have to visit the pound in person I think, that is how we got Demi.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 21 Feb 2020, 01:55

Oh yes, it is wonderful to have a dog for a companion, no doubt about it.
I'd recommend you get another... oh I know it is hard when we lose them, but we must understand from the beginning the responsibility we take on, and part of that includes their old age.

My dog had also had an abusive puppyhood.. shudder... and I got her when she was about 2. Took a long time to gain her trust.
And oh boy they can read us like an open book.
:bgrin

Seems if I even think about giving her medicine, she knows. I use a Pipette - style heartworm, flea etc medication, because it is almost impossible to give her medicine by mouth. One on one she is faster than me, so I have to be crafty.

She loves routine, and I do try to be consistent.... but we both hate it when I have to go out and leave her at home. If its hot I leave her inside, in the air-con, making sure there is nothing edible left available to her. Learned that lesson the hard way. :bgrin
She has NEVER messed in the house.
If it is cooler, I leave her outside and give her a bone to occupy her while I leave. She is now accustomed to the routines, and is a happy dog.

In either case, I always tell her Back Soon (her name) .

She understands several phrases that I repeat .. for certain things.

I love her. :wub :wub :smitten :rose
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Feb 2020, 12:21

I used to give my chi a heartworm tablet, tiny white tablet. Could get her to take it by cutting open a chicken heart and putting the tablet inside. Once she saw me do it and thereafter if I gave her a dish of chicken hearts with a tablet inside one—said tablet would be lying in the bowl when the chicken hearts were eaten :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 21 Feb 2020, 14:39

pinkeye wrote:She loves routine

they all do. And their internal clock is amazing.. i never realised how good until i had Ceasar

I used to take my dog to dog training every Saturday at 3pm. It was the sort of training where i train him, with instructors watching and training me. Itwas a community thing where it only cost $2 per class. After a couple of months, he would every Saturday at 2.30 without any prompting from me, be waiting on the back porch with his lead in his mouth. By 2.20 we would normally leave home for the 15 min drive to the park. If for some reason i couldn't go on any particular Saturday, by 2.45 he would he would drop the lead and start to droop. By 3pm he would lay down sulking. He would continue sulking, ignoring me completely, until his dinner time at about 6, where he would then give me some attention again.
:roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Feb 2020, 16:02

Food will break any canine sulk.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 22 Feb 2020, 00:50

HBS Guy wrote:I used to give my chi a heartworm tablet, tiny white tablet. Could get her to take it by cutting open a chicken heart and putting the tablet inside. Once she saw me do it and thereafter if I gave her a dish of chicken hearts with a tablet inside one—said tablet would be lying in the bowl when the chicken hearts were eaten :bgrin

Yep. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 22 Feb 2020, 00:58

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:She loves routine

they all do. And their internal clock is amazing.. i never realised how good until i had Ceasar

I used to take my dog to dog training every Saturday at 3pm. It was the sort of training where i train him, with instructors watching and training me. Itwas a community thing where it only cost $2 per class. After a couple of months, he would every Saturday at 2.30 without any prompting from me, be waiting on the back porch with his lead in his mouth. By 2.20 we would normally leave home for the 15 min drive to the park. If for some reason i couldn't go on any particular Saturday, by 2.45 he would he would drop the lead and start to droop. By 3pm he would lay down sulking. He would continue sulking, ignoring me completely, until his dinner time at about 6, where he would then give me some attention again.
:roll

Hmm I know that feeling. I would usually walk her every afternoon, give or take, and she was always ready ahead of time. She recognises the signs. After a quick pee ( for me :bgrin ) On with the kepi, on with the shoes
grab the lead and off we go.

Yah well routine has crashed lately. Either too HOT, TOO WET, Burned foot or ... add your own.

But she is looking good, and out barking at critters over the fences.. she is happy.
Will start with the walks again soon as. It is finally a little cooler here.. only 31' .
Not cool enough.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Lols » 26 Feb 2020, 23:14

Thursday night, 7.30 pm on Channel 7, with Rebel Wilson, Pooch Perfect!

All doggies done to the nines. Should be cute as.

Talk of cuteness, Sunday night I watched "Koala rescue" and they opened up this cupboard, with the cutest bunch of little baby koalas cuddled together.
OMG....cuteness meltdown!!

BTW....that photo on my avatar is a photo I took, when up in Queensland in Paradise Country in Oxenford. So many Chinese there, in fact, all were, we were the odd ones out :buddy
And do you think I could get close to the koalas and the kangaroos for a pat or a cuddle!
The day was so hot when we went up, and car park was a mile away! Well it felt like it.
It's a lovely place to go to, and I hope it expands more and more, but that car park.....make it better please!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 26 Feb 2020, 23:30

well yes.! What else is there to say. :roll

Not because the shorts shown were particularly impressive...
Although Rebel looks ready to rip.

I just want to watch to see humans interacting with dogs.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Lols » 27 Feb 2020, 22:08

The show took me a bit by surprise in the last third of the show.
Very human and when the 3 bottom contestants were competing to stay in the comp as one had to be eliminated, they were given rescued dogs.
That was truly heart warming.
The dog with one eye, it really makes one wonder this cute little dog, and how it happened.
My daughter was bored with the show at first and I told her to watch the rescue dogs,
(She is in Qld and we are in Vic, the difference is one hour due to DLS).
She’s glad she did see that part. :buddy
It’s our thing when watching shows, we text each other running commentaries. :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 27 Feb 2020, 23:51

I confess I watched it too.

I felt so sad when they brought out the rescue dogs.

I do hope they were largely shielded from all the glare and blare that comes with Reality TV.

What we saw is not, I hope, what THEY saw.

I don't know if I like the show
I suppose I'll watch it again
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Sand Pit