Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Politics aside how is everyone doing ?

Post by HBS Guy »

Heh, be lots of those songs before long!

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Post by Aussie »

SethBullock wrote:Maybe you guys will enjoy this.

Cheers! :beer
:beer

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
pinkeye wrote:Yes .. My primary necessary tomorrow is Wine. :bgrin

I am wondering really when things will actually change , for me. I will have neighbours present..doing their things ..whatever.. and kids .. unusual.. and there are no Jets flying overhead, and

I don't know..I have lived like this for years, but now my peace will be daily disturbed by neighbours' noises. SIGH.

Lucky lucky lucky ME. :bgrin
Wine is a good choice. :bgrin

Yes .. and what's more it's my birthday tomorrow and it will just be me and the dog. :bgrin

happy birthday Pink. May your mower mow and wine flow freely

enjoy your day
Thank you all for your kindness.

I decided I'd get a dozen oysters, and have fish and chips for dinner from my excellent local - ish Seafood shop. Yum. Just finished the oysters.. just lemon juice and freshly cracked black pepper.

I'm going to have a go at tilting my mower up so I can remove the burnt on garden hose. :roll Tomorrow. :bgrin

Cheers.
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

One of you guys should get your ass over to Pink's house and help her with that.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I can’t or I would {halo positively shining} but my state and Pinky’s have both shut their borders.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Quarantine has given me a chance to catch up on my reading. Today I laid down in my bed, propped my head up with some pillows, and was reading "Sea Stories - My Life In Special Operations" by Admiral William McRaven.

After a while, my cat decided I had read enough.
screenshot (2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:Quarantine has given me a chance to catch up on my reading. Today I laid down in my bed, propped my head up with some pillows, and was reading "Sea Stories - My Life In Special Operations" by Admiral William McRaven.

screenshot (2).png
I've been doing a lot of that lately Seth. Had 4 novels delivered prior to the op last week so as I had some reading material, just about finished the last one now and today marks one week since op. Will have to order a lot more books today. :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Quarantine has given me a chance to catch up on my reading. Today I laid down in my bed, propped my head up with some pillows, and was reading "Sea Stories - My Life In Special Operations" by Admiral William McRaven.

screenshot (2).png
I've been doing a lot of that lately Seth. Had 4 novels delivered prior to the op last week so as I had some reading material, just about finished the last one now and today marks one week since op. Will have to order a lot more books today. :grn
I love reading, John, but I'll be honest. I can't even remember the last time I read anything that was fiction. I read nothing but non-fiction.

I respect the talent and creativity of authors of fiction, but for some reason it bores me.

I just finished "The Man Without A Face - The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin"

But that's just me. Glad ya got some stuff to read.

The book on Putin was extremely well researched but a bit of a slog to get through. This one by McRaven looks to be a page turner.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I have a biography of Joannes Kepler to read after I finish the bio on Churchill.

Churchill was always a Tory, learned that much.

Up to about 1912, Winnie is transferred to the Navy.

Have also been reading wiki/watching YouTubes (Am Battle field trust) on the Civil War. Was funny: the Battle of Shiloh the Rebels were pushing the Feds back through the Feds’s camp when the half starved Rebels broke off tom eat the breakfast the Feds had been cooking. they also looted the camp—and some that had stolen Fed trousers got friendly fire from Rebs who must have thought they were Feds! Reb’s trousers were full of lice.

The South might as well have surrendered after Vicksburg which split the Confederacy into two and definitely after Atlanta fell and with it what heavy industry the South had.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

screenshot (2).png
I love reading, John, but I'll be honest. I can't even remember the last time I read anything that was fiction. I read nothing but non-fiction.

I respect the talent and creativity of authors of fiction, but for some reason it bores me.

I just finished "The Man Without A Face - The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin"
b
But that's just me. Glad ya got some stuff to read.

The book on Putin was extremely well researched but a bit of a slog to get through. This one by McRaven looks to be a page turner.
i go the other way. for me reading is an escape, a way to invigorate the imagination. i'd rather meet and talk to interesting people than read about them. even if they're not famous.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

SethBullock wrote:One of you guys should get your ass over to Pink's house and help her with that.
Thanks Seth. I have called on a male person (friend ,relatively recent, who has offered help before.But not turned up. I suspect this will be the same) :roll

I might have to call on my newish neighbour, he of the pigs and such, I rarely see him and I do know he is in the transport industry ie.. still at work.. But I suspect that will change with the Easter school hols coming up. His wife is a mid-wife , apparently.

Guess they'll just have to get to know me better, at an appropriate distance of course. :roll :bgrin

Or perhaps I won't. I have a self-propelled hand mower.. I might just use that for a while.
+
But I am reading pretty solidly as usual.. I choose fiction... as I have said before..

All the Libraries are closed !! I am getting through the books I still have rather quickly. Fortunately I have my own library of books … hundreds of them.. some I have never read, some I have read ore than once. I am sure when the Library books run out I will still hae heaps of stuff to read.

No need to access e-books. Nope,.. no good for the eyes looking at a pixilated screen for too long.

I love books.
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

pinkeye wrote:
SethBullock wrote:One of you guys should get your ass over to Pink's house and help her with that.
Thanks Seth. I have called on a male person (friend ,relatively recent, who has offered help before.But not turned up. I suspect this will be the same) :roll

I might have to call on my newish neighbour, he of the pigs and such, I rarely see him and I do know he is in the transport industry ie.. still at work.. But I suspect that will change with the Easter school hols coming up. His wife is a mid-wife , apparently.

Guess they'll just have to get to know me better, at an appropriate distance of course. :roll :bgrin

Or perhaps I won't. I have a self-propelled hand mower.. I might just use that for a while.
+
But I am reading pretty solidly as usual.. I choose fiction... as I have said before..

All the Libraries are closed !! I am getting through the books I still have rather quickly. Fortunately I have my own library of books … hundreds of them.. some I have never read, some I have read ore than once. I am sure when the Library books run out I will still hae heaps of stuff to read.

No need to access e-books. Nope,.. no good for the eyes looking at a pixilated screen for too long.

I love books.
Me too. One thing about reading books is that if Hollywood decides to make a movie based upon the book, the movie is never as good as the book. Of course, there are good movies, but the book is always better.

:read

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

SethBullock wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

+

I love books.
Me too. One thing about reading books is that if Hollywood decides to make a movie based upon the book, the movie is never as good as the book. Of course, there are good movies, but the book is always better.

:read

Yes ALWAYS.

I can't imagine not reading.. but. so many people don't read. They are missing so much by their passive movie-streaming.

G of T ... for eg . I 'd read all of the earlier George RR Martin's Game of Throne novels. Long before the TV series.. never seen that.. I don't pay for stuff like that.

Got boring after a while... this was ages ago, when I still read fantasy.

Books are always better than.... the Movie of the Book of the Same Name.

It think that was a really nice piece of music from real music artists 1970's .. umm umm my memory is not finding the packet ,, it was a fantastic female singer .. Canadian I think..
Ashes are Burning

Dang it.! Can't drag it up, but it is there.. almost right on the tip of my tongue.

Oh Oh !!

i think they were called RENAISSANCE. !! :yahoo :yahoo

I knew I'd remember..
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Yes, sometimes the music set to movies is really good.

Samuel Barber's beautiful Adagio of Strings was the theme music of the 1986 war movie Platoon.

Another that comes to mind was the theme music for The Sopranos series.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Nice Seth.
Never watched the Sopranos either, but recognise that song.. .

woke up this..with a blue moon in my eye....
sleeping is good for you

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote: Me too. One thing about reading books is that if Hollywood decides to make a movie based upon the book, the movie is never as good as the book. Of course, there are good movies, but the book is always better.
Amen to that

I still can't believe they cast cruise as Jack Reacher. Totally ruined the movies for me
FD.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Another great theme song ...

If you want to skip straight to the music, go to 2:15.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I LOVE Dave Brubeck’s music!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

SethBullock wrote: Another that comes to mind was the theme music for The Sopranos series.
that's one of my favourite theme music, that and the music from game of thrones, in particular the music at the start of each episode.
FD.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Those of us 65 and over really need to get a shingles vaccination. Depends if you had chickenpox but I think we likely all did.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

HBS Guy wrote:Those of us 65 and over really need to get a shingles vaccination. Depends if you had chickenpox but I think we likely all did.
not me :PC
FD.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote: Another that comes to mind was the theme music for The Sopranos series.
that's one of my favourite theme music, that and the music from game of thrones, in particular the music at the start of each episode.
Yes, that Game of Thrones theme music was very good.

While looking for that Sopranos theme music I found this. I love live music!

greggerypeccary
Rhinocerus

Post by greggerypeccary »

SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I'm the only person in the world who hasn't seen The Sopranos.

A friend has lent me the DVD box set, so once I finish Tin Star I'm gonna start watching it.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

A friend has lent me the DVD box set, so once I finish Tin Star I'm gonna start watching it.
Hope you like it. Great acting and direction. James Gandolfini is superb as Tony Soprano.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i loved it. It remains one of my all time favorites. But then again, the godfather is one of my favorite movies of all time so maybe it's just me and that genre :thumb
FD.